The Faithful

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Faithful

Post by geejay on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:56 pm

A good run by The Faithful last night finishing strongly in a fast 151.8 mile won impressively by Tiger Tara.These last two mile races he must have posted pretty fast last quarters ,great to see him showing something like his true worth again.

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Jack races again this weekend on Sunday at a day meeting at Menangle. This could be a bit more of a test for him after 4 wins from 4 wins to date. This time he is in the feature pacing race for the day with a stake of A$24,000, but this time he is the lowest assessed horse in the race and accordingly he starts from number 1 over a mile. He needs to make a good start otherwise he ends up buried back on the fence.
He can do it but it will not be as easy as his previous Aussie starts. Fingers Crossed
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:01 pm

4 from 4 as he cruised home over 2300 metres. Is being driven like the best horse in the race- rather different than in New Zealand.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Looked good again in a sightly stronger field than he had faced previously. Third placed and favourite, Bettor Ops, won the Southern Country Cups final I see and competed against Heaven Rocks in last season's 4 year old Jewels final.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:25 pm

3 out of 3, has not been great opposition but a 1.52.5 mile now not bad,must be ready now for a better stake race.Confidence no doubt building so look forward to his next race,hopefully over more distance and stronger company.
I see both Inner Light and Sky Diamond carried on their workouts at Canberra this time,9.5m and no less than 50m winning margins respectively and a couple of thousand dollars in their pockets for stretching their legs.Australia the land of opportunities thats for sure !.

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Yes all previous 8 wins were at Alexandra Park right-handed and also of interest was that all 8 prior wins were over distances greater than a mile - his wins were over 2200 and 2700 metres.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:29 am

That makes 2 wins left handed, lifetime- both in Australia!

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Second start in Aus on Tuesday this time at Menangle where he was drive by Todd McCarthy in a mile race and won in a time of 1:52.9 a perfect record in Australia so far.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Here is the video link for Jack's win yesterday at Eugowra - his "paid trial win"............
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
He picked up a A$2,100 cheque for the win.

I have previously relied upon the Harness Racing Australia (HRA) website for tracking the fields and progress of Australian horses but there have been a few issues lately with the HRA website as they have upgraded to a newer version.  I was not aware that there is a site purely for the New South Wales runners at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and this is not only more reliable at the moment but has the information, videos and stewards reports faster than the Harness Racing Australia site.  It is worth a look for those that do not know it existed.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:43 am

Great to see The Faithful win comfortably in what I am assuming was intended as a first workout in Auss.Admit I did think like you Ray it seemed pretty degrading starting him of there in such a lowly race but guess it makes sense getting a few easy dollars while getting the fitness up to scratch.No such opportunities to follow such a path in NZ really so did seem a bit odd and depressing seeing such a nice horse in such a low stake race.
See 2 other kiwis were doing the same thing,Inner Light who also won and Sky Diamond who ran a 2nd,both from Brad Hewitt stable,would expect to see them on the bigger tracks in the near future too.
See The Faithful's starting odds were listed as $5.00,no doubt his connections managed to swoop a good few dollars extra from that,as usual that possibility was overlooked by me dammit !
Anyway Go The Faithfull , such a shame the ATC syndicate's system is not geared up to give members the opportunity to try their hand with their horses in Auss when their NZ careers seem to be no longer desirable.

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Small steps maybe but Todd McCarthy made a 3 wide run during mid race to sweep to a 3 1/2 length victory over former Gareth Dixon trained, Ring The Till  and recorded a 2 .00 minute mile rate in the process.  Hopefully this was just a tune up for better class racing ahead.
I see the trainer has Tiger Tara in his stable and is quoted as liking New Zealand horses.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Jack is to make his Australian debut at a country day meeting on Sunday at a place called Eugowra in outback New South Wales. Talk about an unknown hick town, I have never heard of it and Wikipedia shows that it has a population of 530. I assume that Eugowra is on the country circuit but a $3,500 hicksville race - really??? I think this a degrading start to his Australian racing career and that he should be at Menangle racing for A$18,000.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:04 pm

The meeting regarding the sale of Jack was held second at 7.30pm and generated some good discussion.

It was pointed out to the meeting that the intended purchaser was the same person that defaulted on purchasing Major Star.

Part way through the meeting and prior to any vote being taken Andrew, the syndicate manager’s, phone rang and it was Barry Purdon advising that a subsequent offer had been received this evening for an additional $3,000 from the well respected Fitzpatrick stable.
The prices offered from the two competing parties were relatively similar but the quality of stable offering to take Jack was no doubt a factor influencing the end result which was 34 for a sale versus 1 to retain the horse (the proxy votes were unanimous).  We await the receipt of the funds before Jacks passport gets an Australian stamp.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:09 pm

Conwell wrote:The Faithful only won 1 race this season but still netted $30.6K which is close to paying his way.

The beancounter in me needs to point out the following.......
Stakes earnings of $30,595 need to be adjusted for the automatic deduction of 10% that goes to the trainer and the 5% deduction that goes to the driver.  As owners we only ever see a maximum portion of 85% (less if it is a large stakes win as the manager gets a chunk as well) which in Jack's case leaves us with $30,595 x 85% = $26,005 for the year, against estimated training costs of $35,000.  A deficit of nearly $9,000.
I struggle to justify retaining him based upon this analysis.

As to value my initial gut feeling prior to the price being disclosed was an indicative value of $35,000 to $40,000 so the offers do not disappoint me too much.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:02 pm

Yes, it's a tough one Conwell , and personally I wouldn't be concerned if he went to a good home for use as a riding or training horse but such opportunities do not readily present themselves and I am just one of a  number  so the alternative of selling for a reasonable price as a racehorse is reasonable.

I thought around $35000 was realistic so the price change is still within the ballpark.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:44 pm

I am quite torn about the possibility of selling Jack.

Yes he has been out of form since his gallant effort for 5th in the Auckland Cup on new years eve and his stats of 16 starts for 1 win and 2 placings this season don't look that impressive but he has still netted $30,595.

"Accepting $37 000.00 is probably equivalent to winning over four $15 000.00 races at Auckland. Jack is highly unlikely to do that based on how he is going, but if he did it may very well take him 12 months or even longer to win four races at a cost of perhaps $35 000.00 or more." quote Andrew Jamieson

Well we now know that the $37K offer has been withdrawn and the offer on the table is now $33K, so I give you a few points of consideration.
*The Faithful only won 1 race this season but still netted $30.6K which is close to paying his way.
*Only 5 of his 16 starts this season were in races for $15k or less as he was specifically targeted to race at Premiere meetings.
*Jack has had 8 wins at Alexandra Park so his next 2 wins would come with 50% bonuses from the ATC.

While all of these points are supportive of not selling Jack, I realise that even if he was able to pay his way for another season he probably wouldn't be worth 33K in a years time so you need to factor that in too.

Ultimately I think the right decision is to sell him, I'm really just looking for a reason to justify keeping him. Smile

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:23 pm

He has given us his best on so many occasions and is much loved but it has been a bit of a struggle lately. His current break will hopefully refresh him, maybe in another environment.  Awaiting further news.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:41 pm

The recent newsletter indicated that Jack's New Zealand racing is likely to be in its twilight and this has become a developing story now that we have received a subsequent email advising us of an impending meeting on Wednesday regarding a proposed sale. Price is currently undisclosed and 2014 syndicate members should find this out tomorrow.
In my opinion his future racing career lies in Australia.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Did well from his draw last night and was a respectable 4th, leaving some nice horse flesh to finish behind him.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:41 pm

I see that The Faithful was given a hard working run at the workouts on Saturday in preparation for his return to racing. It will be good to have him back and hopefully running in his own class. Shandale has arrived in Perth and is trialling well. Ohoka Punter is here in the Gary Hall stable and Runrunjimmydunn was very impressive at Gloucester Park last Friday as was Eyre Crusher both also in the Hall stable.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:13 am

I see that our little horse, The Faithful, is up against the current Interdominion winner, 2 Miracle Mile winners, 2 current Auckland Cup placegetters, plus The Orange Agent and Waikiki Beach and has drawn the back row. He is giving away up to 30 grading points in order to get a start in a race. If he can finish in amongst a pack like that then he will have done us proud.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Outwardly it may have appeared a little disappointing but in reality that is about as fast as Jack can run.
His finishing time converts to a mile rate of 1:55.3 and his fastest ever time (running a place) is 1:55.1. He isn't best suited to short distance sprinting as his 5th in the 3200 metre Auckland Cup demonstrated. Next weeks 2200 metre may be better.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:07 am

Very disappointing run last night by The Faithful last night,hope all ok !.Tough race fresh up from a couple of months break so hopefully just in need of the run.
Winner huge potential,runner-up wow run,good thing it didn't win after Mark P's going public with his intended driving tactic's to look after him .

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Good to hear of the stakes rise,yeah apartment sales may be behind that.Must be a few with money to plunge into that crazy Auckland housing market,overseas buyer's ??? ,not a fan of foreigner's buying up my homeland though !
Anyway hope the road ahead will be good for harness racing in NZ,not always positive the news I've been hearing.

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:09 pm

geejay wrote:Did I miss something,been wondering why the absence of The Faithful from the track lately and now seeing he won't be back until march ,has there been a problem after his last race,or is it just a lack of suitable races with all his good rivals absconding to Australia ,dam good move for them it certainly has been ! Sorry Des  you have had to watch this while your one sits home,a bit painfull.
No one has quelled my curiosity since I said it  be great to know what David Butcher had to say after his last race after a couple of rough steps and not being very vigorously driven out from my observations.Hope all good with him !

I haven't heard anything negative about the horse's condition but that trainer, Barry Purdon, has decided to race The Faithful at the March premier meeting with a prior workout scheduled for 25th.February. There were only 4 nominations from memory for the tighter class race at Auckland this week so the event was canned but a couple of those have been placed in a mixed ratings event over 2200metres mobile. They have of course been handed the worst draws which would have been his fate had he been entered no doubt.

I don't recall any profound statements  coming from the mouth of David Butcher other than confirming what we could see, in that he did pace a little unevenly in the straight , possibly due to being less comfortable left handed.  

The announcement today that Auckland stakes are likely to boost by $40000 per race day from next August (presumably apartment buyers will have settled by then) is welcome news and hopefully will arrest the exodus of horses to Australia, provided they increase stakes across the board, and not just for maidens.  By that time, our 2014 syndicate horses will be 7 years old but not too old or worn out to share in some of the spoils.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top