The Faithful

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Faithful

Post by barryf on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Well  that shortens Jack's odds sllghtly- it's easier to beat 10 others than 12, particularly since one of the favourites is now out.

I presume Say My Name has gone amiss again as he  had a long period off prior to his recent reappearance.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:35 pm

ray the beancounter wrote:In the Group 1 Northern Derby at Alex Park on 6th March 2015 he drew number 15 but with the scratching of number 14 who was Hug The Wind then Jack started from barrier 14 which was the outside of the back row.  He still got up to finish 6th - but that was a 2700m race. The shorter distance of 1700m just made his chances a whole lot harder.
There was also a horse scratched off the front line in the Northern Derby leaving 13 starters.

Déjà vu.

No. 14 Sir Richie has been scratched and so has Say My Name off the front line. Cool

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:13 pm

Yes- food for thought. I would imagine that the remaining shares might go quic
kly should O K M win, or place well, in the forthcoming Group One's.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:07 pm

Not sure how many people have already realized this but My Kiwi Mate is the full brother to Cha Cha B that Brian Hughes is training for the new ATC 2017 syndicate.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:57 pm

In the stables after Jacks last race Zac made mention of the two Group 1's coming up in April, so yes I believe that the intention is to also line up in the Messenger on Friday week.

After the vote on the sale of Major Star last Saturday a few of the 2014 syndicate members stayed back and had a discussion with Rob about Major Change. There were several people that voiced a similar opinion that Change has reached his mark and quite often doesn't seem like he wants to be there. Rob advised that he has already begun looking for an offer to sell him, but hasn't received any interest as yet. One of the members suggested that maybe the breeder might want to buy him back. Razz

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:57 pm

It may not be as bad as it seems. My Kiwi Mate, Hug The Wind, Field Marshal, Bettor Spirits and any amount of others will need to work forward before it is too late so I can see a lot of pressure up front and even a three wide line for most of the race. Whoever gets the sweet run and can come late could get a major advantage in a really fast run race. If a favoured horse gets to the front, the others can't just sit back. Maybe it is time for stablemate Hug The Wind to return the favour from two starts ago. But then again, it may be as bad as it seems with The Faithful running the fastest final sectionals and finishing ninth. Hopefully we have saved our good barrier draw for the Jewels at Cambridge. Is The Faithful going to start in the Group 1 The Messenger next Friday?
Was there any discussion regarding Major Change at the Major Star vote?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:02 pm

In the Group 1 Northern Derby at Alex Park on 6th March 2015 he drew number 15 but with the scratching of number 14 who was Hug The Wind then Jack started from barrier 14 which was the outside of the back row.  He still got up to finish 6th - but that was a 2700m race. The shorter distance of 1700m just made his chances a whole lot harder.
There was also a horse scratched off the front line in the Northern Derby leaving 13 starters.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:41 pm

The visitor's draw for a non-visitor.

Snap! In his previous Group One race at the Park he drew 13 of 13!

Makes it hard over the sprint distance. Bash Head

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Not exactly the draw we'd hoped for!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:46 pm

Jack looks to be thriving on racing and appeared ready to race again , if required, post race.  The Bettors Delight factor is kicking in when the whips are cracking.

Say My Name looms as a further threat after his comfortable win at Addington tonight where he showed good stamina to outpoint the Gore challenger. He impresses particularly as a staying type.
Hug The Wind very good again tonight and Risk o.k.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:21 pm

There were no steering issues with Jack tonight. Zac came out because Hughie simply wasn't going as well as him and he would have had to wait another 20m for the passing lane.

It was a very positive atmosphere down at the stables after the race. (which I guess you'd expect after running 2nd in a Group 3 race  Very Happy ) Zac commented that Jack is racing the best he's ever raced at the moment and that all we need is a good draw in the Group 1's for him to be right in it.

I personally thought it was a near perfect lead up to the Group 1 races. They ran a quick time and he didn't have to do work in the running.
Fingers crossed for the barrier draw for the Taylor Mile.  Fingers Crossed

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:53 pm

Very nice second by Jack tonight sitting in the trail behind Hughie Green.
Hughie was a bad failure of the race dropping out to the rear of the field coming down the straight. At first look it seemed puzzling as to why Zac pulled Jack out to go around Hughie Green rather than dive inwards and use the passing lane - but I do wonder if Zac had concerns about Hughie faltering and thus made a snap decision to get Jack out as quick as he could.
Either that or Jack was just being a little toerag and wouldn't steer as desired - which he has been prone to doing in the past - and steering right to the passing lane wasn't an option?
Second in a very good time in a Group 3 race is a nice workout for the Group 1 Taylor Mile......
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:22 pm

Des if Maurice McKendry were driving Hughie Green as would normally be the case then your scenario would almost have been a certainty as he would hold the lead at all cost. With Maurice hospitalised last week for a few days with an infection he is sidelined from driving duties this Friday night. Tony Herlihy takes the reins of Hughie Green instead and he is more of a possibility than Maurice to hand up the lead to someone like Hug the Wind, in order to use the sprint lane himself. I hope I am wrong as this would push Jack back to three back on the marker line - or be the sucker that has to be the sacrificial lamb sitting parked out.
Addendum: I have subsequently seen that Maurice McKendry is in fact driving this Friday evening but is doing so down at Addington , driving Shandale in the 3 yr old Derby hence his non-appearance at Alexandra Park.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:06 pm

Well Ray, The Faithful has barrier 1 on Friday (well prayed) and a 10m start on most of the field and Zac Butcher has elected to drive him. Here is my scenario for how the race will pan out. The Faithful to lead early and hand up to Hughie Green who will be pressurised in turn by every other horse in the field and then The Faithful races home along the sprint lane to win easily. That would be nice.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:34 am

If Jack isn't ready to take on the big boys in some Group racing then he never will be.
The video is online of his workout Saturday (2nd April) at Puke and was very impressive with him making up ground on the line just in behind Hughie Green and Hug the Wind.
There were two very nice animals of Mark Purdons that finished behind Jack as well.
Bring on the Group races - oh, yes and pray for a good draw....
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:05 am

Awesome Armbro won $648000 during his career in New Zealand (much more if you add in U.S.earnings) but never won a Group One race.
Placings in the NZ Free for all, Auckland Cup plus his win in the Group 2 Inter Dom Consolation contributed about one third of his earnings here, admittedly in a time when stakes were higher than now, but it confirms that placings in big races can have a big influence on overall earnings power.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:41 pm

When you look back to the Taylor Mile and Messenger from 2015, the fields were pretty much identical so most trainers ran in both. Mossdale Conner won the Taylor Mile from barrier three beating Border Control, Ohoka Punter, Tiger Tara, Sky Major and Messini. He ran sixth in the Messenger from barrier six won by Sky Major. Before those races he was a second level horse with lots of placings and fourths and fifths much like The Faithful. Since then he has consistently raced against the best with excellent prize money being earned. He won $52,000 for his third in the NZ Cup, $11,000 for fourth in the Auckland Cup. His last four starts have earned $60,000 from three starts overseas by running a third, fourth and fifth plus $26,000 for winning the Northern Southland Cup off 20m. In season 2016 to date he has had 14 starts for 1 win, 3 seconds and 4 thirds for $206,000 in prizemoney. You don't have to win all the time to build up a good prizemoney bank but if you can race consistently in the top races then not only is it exciting for the owners but also financially rewarding. Sectional times suggest that The Faithful has the potential to do something similar to Mossdale Conner.
The Taylor Mile has been won by top horses such as Christen Me, Terror To Love, Auckland Reactor, Changeover and Elsu. Also of note is that before the distance was changed to 1700m, the race record for 1609m of 1:53.5 was held by a handy broodmare called Scuse Me.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:02 pm

I too am excited about the prospect of Jack running in the Taylor Mile and Messenger in April.
With a good draw and a the right run, his ability to run a 55 last half gives him a great chance to go close.

I've heard other syndicate members say that they prefer the Messenger for him rather than the Taylor Mile, but I don't necessarily agree. I think that the draw will be more important for him in the Taylor Mile, but that is probably the case for most of this years 4YOs over a mile. Jack has only started twice over a short distance where he ran 1:54 in the harness Jewels when he was 3 wide the whole race. The other time over 1700m this past February at Alex Park where he dropped out the back early and made up lengths on most runners.

The Faithful is a horse that flies under the radar a bit due to a couple of outstanding horses in his year, but I believe that he is capable of taking out one of these 4YO feature races.Fingers Crossed

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Congratulations to ray the beancounter on achieving the 400th entry on this blog site. (This is number 403). I look forward to and enjoy the opinions and thoughts of fellow ATC Syndicate members almost as much as I enjoy watching the races.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:17 pm

I am becoming increasingly optimistic regarding The Faithful's prospects in the big races coming up.

Reasons -Hughie Green has looked more vulnerable since his Auckland Cup second placing which may have taken a lot out of him.  Costa del Magnifico and Maverick will have the travel factor to deal with and have already covered plenty of road miles in their recent racing.  The last I read was that Alta Ronaldo had gone amiss again.  Haven't seen Art Union for a while, while Risk and Hug The Wind look to be big threats , with well spaced racing or having come back from a break.
Meanwhile Jack has been showing he has the all round game, likes to trail and can finish off his races at pace and hasn't been overraced.

Last edited by barryf on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 am

Come on folks - contribute. Please please pretty please.....
It is the old addage - you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.
I can provide an online discussion forum but I cannot make people use it.

Des, I agree that The Faithful has the potential to snare a good race in the near future. He is in top form currently and just needs the right run for him to use his lethal finishing sprint to win. He is right up there with good placings of late. We just need him to stay sound and to remain in his current form and the law of averages will see his number come up shortly.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 pm

The Faithful has a great opportunity in the April 4yo races and then in the Harness Jewels to win a good race or two. Have Faith In Me is not going to compete and of the other top 4yo on the money list only Hughie Green stands out. What does everyone think? Of the 19 registered members of this blog only 7 contribute opinions and thoughts. It would be great to hear from the others. I have never met Ray or Barry but my wife says that I talk with them more than I do with her. But then she doesn't like trotting.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:23 am

Great run by The Faithful in a race with the fastest last 800m on the program (55.0) ... from the death seat ... after giving cover to stablemate Hug The Wind for 1 3/4 laps and in a photo with Risk who had an easy run behind the leader. I think that The Faithful is the most underestimated horse racing in Auckland and I hope that the next time that Hug The Wind and The Faithful are in the same race then we get the trail rather than do all the work. Going forward I would rather have The Faithful than any other horse in that race. I am looking forward to next weekend as Major Star and Bettors Pocket are two of the best horses contesting the Country Cups series.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Looking at the sectional timing for last nights race Jack ran the fastest “First 1/2”, fastest “3rd 1/4”, second fastest “4th 1/4 “ in a blistering 26.8 sec, fastest “Last 1/2”, and fastest “Last Mile”.
Ultra competitive, but in a good quality race he still ends up running fourth. It must be his turn to win a race shortly.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:16 am

The race caller had him in a photo for fourth. I was very happy with the run. Watch the replay on HRNZ and observe what happens after the line ... The Faithful bursts through to hit the front not far after the line. It reinforced my opinion that when driven with a sit he can finish his races off as good as the top horses, so given a good barrier he is capable of winning a nice race over a variety of distances ... including Australia. What do others think or am I overestimating his ability / potential? Don't use his Harness Jewels run as a yardstick as he was driven three wide, up front, at Ashburton. Sit him behind the leader at Menangle and see how he goes.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top