The Faithful

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Faithful

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:06 pm

Well Ray, The Faithful has barrier 1 on Friday (well prayed) and a 10m start on most of the field and Zac Butcher has elected to drive him. Here is my scenario for how the race will pan out. The Faithful to lead early and hand up to Hughie Green who will be pressurised in turn by every other horse in the field and then The Faithful races home along the sprint lane to win easily. That would be nice.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:34 am

If Jack isn't ready to take on the big boys in some Group racing then he never will be.
The video is online of his workout Saturday (2nd April) at Puke and was very impressive with him making up ground on the line just in behind Hughie Green and Hug the Wind.
There were two very nice animals of Mark Purdons that finished behind Jack as well.
Bring on the Group races - oh, yes and pray for a good draw....
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:05 am

Awesome Armbro won $648000 during his career in New Zealand (much more if you add in U.S.earnings) but never won a Group One race.
Placings in the NZ Free for all, Auckland Cup plus his win in the Group 2 Inter Dom Consolation contributed about one third of his earnings here, admittedly in a time when stakes were higher than now, but it confirms that placings in big races can have a big influence on overall earnings power.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:41 pm

When you look back to the Taylor Mile and Messenger from 2015, the fields were pretty much identical so most trainers ran in both. Mossdale Conner won the Taylor Mile from barrier three beating Border Control, Ohoka Punter, Tiger Tara, Sky Major and Messini. He ran sixth in the Messenger from barrier six won by Sky Major. Before those races he was a second level horse with lots of placings and fourths and fifths much like The Faithful. Since then he has consistently raced against the best with excellent prize money being earned. He won $52,000 for his third in the NZ Cup, $11,000 for fourth in the Auckland Cup. His last four starts have earned $60,000 from three starts overseas by running a third, fourth and fifth plus $26,000 for winning the Northern Southland Cup off 20m. In season 2016 to date he has had 14 starts for 1 win, 3 seconds and 4 thirds for $206,000 in prizemoney. You don't have to win all the time to build up a good prizemoney bank but if you can race consistently in the top races then not only is it exciting for the owners but also financially rewarding. Sectional times suggest that The Faithful has the potential to do something similar to Mossdale Conner.
The Taylor Mile has been won by top horses such as Christen Me, Terror To Love, Auckland Reactor, Changeover and Elsu. Also of note is that before the distance was changed to 1700m, the race record for 1609m of 1:53.5 was held by a handy broodmare called Scuse Me.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:02 pm

I too am excited about the prospect of Jack running in the Taylor Mile and Messenger in April.
With a good draw and a the right run, his ability to run a 55 last half gives him a great chance to go close.

I've heard other syndicate members say that they prefer the Messenger for him rather than the Taylor Mile, but I don't necessarily agree. I think that the draw will be more important for him in the Taylor Mile, but that is probably the case for most of this years 4YOs over a mile. Jack has only started twice over a short distance where he ran 1:54 in the harness Jewels when he was 3 wide the whole race. The other time over 1700m this past February at Alex Park where he dropped out the back early and made up lengths on most runners.

The Faithful is a horse that flies under the radar a bit due to a couple of outstanding horses in his year, but I believe that he is capable of taking out one of these 4YO feature races.Fingers Crossed

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Congratulations to ray the beancounter on achieving the 400th entry on this blog site. (This is number 403). I look forward to and enjoy the opinions and thoughts of fellow ATC Syndicate members almost as much as I enjoy watching the races.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:17 pm

I am becoming increasingly optimistic regarding The Faithful's prospects in the big races coming up.

Reasons -Hughie Green has looked more vulnerable since his Auckland Cup second placing which may have taken a lot out of him.  Costa del Magnifico and Maverick will have the travel factor to deal with and have already covered plenty of road miles in their recent racing.  The last I read was that Alta Ronaldo had gone amiss again.  Haven't seen Art Union for a while, while Risk and Hug The Wind look to be big threats , with well spaced racing or having come back from a break.
Meanwhile Jack has been showing he has the all round game, likes to trail and can finish off his races at pace and hasn't been overraced.

Last edited by barryf on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 am

Come on folks - contribute. Please please pretty please.....
It is the old addage - you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink.
I can provide an online discussion forum but I cannot make people use it.

Des, I agree that The Faithful has the potential to snare a good race in the near future. He is in top form currently and just needs the right run for him to use his lethal finishing sprint to win. He is right up there with good placings of late. We just need him to stay sound and to remain in his current form and the law of averages will see his number come up shortly.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 pm

The Faithful has a great opportunity in the April 4yo races and then in the Harness Jewels to win a good race or two. Have Faith In Me is not going to compete and of the other top 4yo on the money list only Hughie Green stands out. What does everyone think? Of the 19 registered members of this blog only 7 contribute opinions and thoughts. It would be great to hear from the others. I have never met Ray or Barry but my wife says that I talk with them more than I do with her. But then she doesn't like trotting.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:23 am

Great run by The Faithful in a race with the fastest last 800m on the program (55.0) ... from the death seat ... after giving cover to stablemate Hug The Wind for 1 3/4 laps and in a photo with Risk who had an easy run behind the leader. I think that The Faithful is the most underestimated horse racing in Auckland and I hope that the next time that Hug The Wind and The Faithful are in the same race then we get the trail rather than do all the work. Going forward I would rather have The Faithful than any other horse in that race. I am looking forward to next weekend as Major Star and Bettors Pocket are two of the best horses contesting the Country Cups series.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Looking at the sectional timing for last nights race Jack ran the fastest “First 1/2”, fastest “3rd 1/4”, second fastest “4th 1/4 “ in a blistering 26.8 sec, fastest “Last 1/2”, and fastest “Last Mile”.
Ultra competitive, but in a good quality race he still ends up running fourth. It must be his turn to win a race shortly.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:16 am

The race caller had him in a photo for fourth. I was very happy with the run. Watch the replay on HRNZ and observe what happens after the line ... The Faithful bursts through to hit the front not far after the line. It reinforced my opinion that when driven with a sit he can finish his races off as good as the top horses, so given a good barrier he is capable of winning a nice race over a variety of distances ... including Australia. What do others think or am I overestimating his ability / potential? Don't use his Harness Jewels run as a yardstick as he was driven three wide, up front, at Ashburton. Sit him behind the leader at Menangle and see how he goes.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:54 pm

Looking at the video, has Jack been placed correctly?
It looks like he was 5th., not 6th. as per the HRNZ site.
I didn't hear the call so not sure what was announced on course.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:45 pm

Jack played catch up right from the start of tonights race. His last 400m was very impressive and I look forward to seeing his sectionals from this race - he was making up good ground on the leaders. I don't understand why he would have been held back from the mobile and then restrained to the rear of the field at the start in the manner that he was (driver under instruction or was Jack being difficult)? From the sideline it seemed counter productive. Yes Jack usually runs best with some cover during the run but to hold him back in that manner gave him a sizeable handicap.
Moan over.......... confused
Was there anything from the stable after the race in regard to the tactics used?
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:48 pm

I am going to be overcome with sudden illness on Monday and will thus have to take the day off work. Oh well I might as well go to the sales..... Yes I will be there and there is usually a core group of 6 to 8 syndicate members that attend.
I noted with interest that Rob had Lot 1. Personally I would not be happy being the first cab off the rank as it usually takes 10 to 15 lots to go through the ring before the prices settle down and a more consistent average can be determined. Lot 1 really is testing the waters as to how deep the buyers pockets are.
I have been through the Auckland and Christchurch sales catalogue page by page and had missed the fact that Lot 138 was a full sister to Miss Kitty - I will now watch that one more closely.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:54 pm

It would be nice for The Faithful to lead off the mobile and hand up to No Doctor Needed. Spirit and Desire is fast off the mobile on occasions so could put on some early pressure. It is only a sprint race so lets hope for a sit sprint drive. Is anybody going to go to the sales? I am going to the W.A. Yearling Sale this Sunday and then will be watching the Classic Sale on Monday on the webcam. I noted that Rob Carr is the vendor of Lot 1 a nice Rocknroll Hanover filly so it will be a very interesting start to the sales. Lot 138 is a full sister to Miss Kitty so it will be interesting to see how much she goes for and if Barry Purdon thinks enough of Miss Kitty to be interested in her sister.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:55 pm

It is pleasing to see that Jack is racing again this week and that a field of intermediate grade horses could be assembled. Jack will need to be in good form to beat his two main rivals - the Doctor and Bettor Spirits but he has done it before, so is quite capable of winning with the right run. Jack is currently paying $9.50 for a win on the fixed odds - that would be nice... Fingers Crossed
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Good to see that Jack has been given his opportunity to race this Friday, 5th.February.
Racing Manager, Kevin Smith had an unenviable task in putting together 10 races of even quality as there were only 2 nominations for Jack's race and low numbers for many of the other originally programmed races.
However he combined Races 8 &9; 11 & 12 and 13 & 14, which together with other splits and combinations has resulted in a well balanced card of 10 races.
On his recent trial form, jack should be very competitive in his 2700 metres standing start affair.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Let us hope so Barry, as the other two Barry Purdon trained runners (Ideal Belle and Miss Kitty) are both now out for 3 - 4 month spells according to the now published January newsletters.
I do wonder when a longer spell will also be given to Jack, as he has been racing for just on 6 months now, since the beginning of August. A "holiday" will need to be included in their schedule for him in order to have him primed for the Jewels at the end of May.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:17 am

Fair points there Des.  I would say that my caution results from Jack's one trip to the South Island- 7th., 11th and 13th. for 3 misses against mostly the then best 3 year olds.

So maybe he is, or has been, solely an Alexandra Park horse, plus maybe Cambridge.

And although he is not a robust horse he does seem to have inherited the Bettors Delight factor of improving with age and does possess courage and the will to win, plus good racing manners.

Maybe he will get his chance again elsewhere in the future.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:10 am

Mossdale Conner won 10 of his first 45 starts (3 on city tracks) before bursting into the top group of New Zealand horses with his win in the Group 1 Taylor Mile and has raced in top company ever since with excellent results. He would have been a great chance in the Perth Interdominion even before the field fell away. The Faithful has won 7 of his first 28 starts (all on city tracks ... plus 7 second placings) and has the consistency and versatility to lead or sit in his races. I am sure that the Mark Purdon team will be back in NZ for the 4yo races at Auckland so The Faithful will have to race them anyway. Trainers often remark that a season racing in the top company toughens their horses and lays the path for the following year. I am unimpressed when I see three Mark Purdon horses at the front of group one races or handing up to each other to ensure a 1/2 result. I certainly don't mind paying 1/50th of the cost of travel when the Faithful has been such a consistent money spinner and is improving all the time. An overseas trip could be the making of him. This is all subject to the trainer thinking him good enough to be competitive. The favourites do not always win in big races and The Faithful is just the type of pacer to take advantage if it presents itself.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Des-The Manager is the authorised person to discuss racing programmes with the trainer so I guess they are both considering all options.

There will be attractive 4 year old racing opportunities in Auckland in the next couple of months, culminating with the Jewels. so I doubt whether interim racing against the likes of Have Faith In Me & the rest of the Mark Purdon team etc. in Australia has a lot of attraction at present.  There is also the travel costs factor to be considered as well, which means you have to win to make it worth while.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:27 pm

After watching the three horse trial at Franklin last Saturday I noticed that the race caller said that Sky Major was off to Australia soon. I feel that The Faithful has earned the chance to compete in the top 4yo company in Australia and would be suited by Menangle the home of the Chariots of Fire. Has anybody raised with Barry Purdon the prospect of taking The Faithful to compete in Australia particularly with the lack of suitable races for him in Auckland at present?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:58 pm

Yes, an excellent win from Jack on New Years Eve after a perfect drive from Brent.  I shall eat my words about not accepting on premier night on 18th Dec and opting for a lead up race instead. That's a New Years Eve double for Jack as he also won a $20k race on this night last year!!
Jack moves back up to 4th on the 4YO males Jewels list with just under $42k in the bank this season. (behind the Auckland Cup quinella of Have Faith In Me and Hughie Green)  Cool

Also, a somewhat surprising win from Change today on the grass at the Wairarapa meeting. I say surprising as he was very ordinary at Cambridge on Xmas Eve.

Does anyone know how Bettor's Pocket went at the workouts this morning?

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Jack has now raced 11 times at Alexandra Park since mid July , so according to my reading of the Accumulator Bonus conditions on the club's web site he will qualify for that bonus should he race again at the Park within 12 months from the beginning of the bonus, i.e. pre mid July 2016.
The $5000 is split 50/50 between owner and trainer so is an attractive and well merited reward for the stable in particular as they miss out on the other bonuses, e.g. Money Bags and Ultimate Bonus.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top