The Faithful

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Faithful

Post by barryf on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:54 pm

Looking at the video, has Jack been placed correctly?
It looks like he was 5th., not 6th. as per the HRNZ site.
I didn't hear the call so not sure what was announced on course.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:45 pm

Jack played catch up right from the start of tonights race. His last 400m was very impressive and I look forward to seeing his sectionals from this race - he was making up good ground on the leaders. I don't understand why he would have been held back from the mobile and then restrained to the rear of the field at the start in the manner that he was (driver under instruction or was Jack being difficult)? From the sideline it seemed counter productive. Yes Jack usually runs best with some cover during the run but to hold him back in that manner gave him a sizeable handicap.
Moan over.......... confused
Was there anything from the stable after the race in regard to the tactics used?
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:48 pm

I am going to be overcome with sudden illness on Monday and will thus have to take the day off work. Oh well I might as well go to the sales..... Yes I will be there and there is usually a core group of 6 to 8 syndicate members that attend.
I noted with interest that Rob had Lot 1. Personally I would not be happy being the first cab off the rank as it usually takes 10 to 15 lots to go through the ring before the prices settle down and a more consistent average can be determined. Lot 1 really is testing the waters as to how deep the buyers pockets are.
I have been through the Auckland and Christchurch sales catalogue page by page and had missed the fact that Lot 138 was a full sister to Miss Kitty - I will now watch that one more closely.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:54 pm

It would be nice for The Faithful to lead off the mobile and hand up to No Doctor Needed. Spirit and Desire is fast off the mobile on occasions so could put on some early pressure. It is only a sprint race so lets hope for a sit sprint drive. Is anybody going to go to the sales? I am going to the W.A. Yearling Sale this Sunday and then will be watching the Classic Sale on Monday on the webcam. I noted that Rob Carr is the vendor of Lot 1 a nice Rocknroll Hanover filly so it will be a very interesting start to the sales. Lot 138 is a full sister to Miss Kitty so it will be interesting to see how much she goes for and if Barry Purdon thinks enough of Miss Kitty to be interested in her sister.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:55 pm

It is pleasing to see that Jack is racing again this week and that a field of intermediate grade horses could be assembled. Jack will need to be in good form to beat his two main rivals - the Doctor and Bettor Spirits but he has done it before, so is quite capable of winning with the right run. Jack is currently paying $9.50 for a win on the fixed odds - that would be nice... Fingers Crossed
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Good to see that Jack has been given his opportunity to race this Friday, 5th.February.
Racing Manager, Kevin Smith had an unenviable task in putting together 10 races of even quality as there were only 2 nominations for Jack's race and low numbers for many of the other originally programmed races.
However he combined Races 8 &9; 11 & 12 and 13 & 14, which together with other splits and combinations has resulted in a well balanced card of 10 races.
On his recent trial form, jack should be very competitive in his 2700 metres standing start affair.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Let us hope so Barry, as the other two Barry Purdon trained runners (Ideal Belle and Miss Kitty) are both now out for 3 - 4 month spells according to the now published January newsletters.
I do wonder when a longer spell will also be given to Jack, as he has been racing for just on 6 months now, since the beginning of August. A "holiday" will need to be included in their schedule for him in order to have him primed for the Jewels at the end of May.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:17 am

Fair points there Des.  I would say that my caution results from Jack's one trip to the South Island- 7th., 11th and 13th. for 3 misses against mostly the then best 3 year olds.

So maybe he is, or has been, solely an Alexandra Park horse, plus maybe Cambridge.

And although he is not a robust horse he does seem to have inherited the Bettors Delight factor of improving with age and does possess courage and the will to win, plus good racing manners.

Maybe he will get his chance again elsewhere in the future.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:10 am

Mossdale Conner won 10 of his first 45 starts (3 on city tracks) before bursting into the top group of New Zealand horses with his win in the Group 1 Taylor Mile and has raced in top company ever since with excellent results. He would have been a great chance in the Perth Interdominion even before the field fell away. The Faithful has won 7 of his first 28 starts (all on city tracks ... plus 7 second placings) and has the consistency and versatility to lead or sit in his races. I am sure that the Mark Purdon team will be back in NZ for the 4yo races at Auckland so The Faithful will have to race them anyway. Trainers often remark that a season racing in the top company toughens their horses and lays the path for the following year. I am unimpressed when I see three Mark Purdon horses at the front of group one races or handing up to each other to ensure a 1/2 result. I certainly don't mind paying 1/50th of the cost of travel when the Faithful has been such a consistent money spinner and is improving all the time. An overseas trip could be the making of him. This is all subject to the trainer thinking him good enough to be competitive. The favourites do not always win in big races and The Faithful is just the type of pacer to take advantage if it presents itself.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Des-The Manager is the authorised person to discuss racing programmes with the trainer so I guess they are both considering all options.

There will be attractive 4 year old racing opportunities in Auckland in the next couple of months, culminating with the Jewels. so I doubt whether interim racing against the likes of Have Faith In Me & the rest of the Mark Purdon team etc. in Australia has a lot of attraction at present.  There is also the travel costs factor to be considered as well, which means you have to win to make it worth while.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:27 pm

After watching the three horse trial at Franklin last Saturday I noticed that the race caller said that Sky Major was off to Australia soon. I feel that The Faithful has earned the chance to compete in the top 4yo company in Australia and would be suited by Menangle the home of the Chariots of Fire. Has anybody raised with Barry Purdon the prospect of taking The Faithful to compete in Australia particularly with the lack of suitable races for him in Auckland at present?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:58 pm

Yes, an excellent win from Jack on New Years Eve after a perfect drive from Brent.  I shall eat my words about not accepting on premier night on 18th Dec and opting for a lead up race instead. That's a New Years Eve double for Jack as he also won a $20k race on this night last year!!
Jack moves back up to 4th on the 4YO males Jewels list with just under $42k in the bank this season. (behind the Auckland Cup quinella of Have Faith In Me and Hughie Green)  Cool

Also, a somewhat surprising win from Change today on the grass at the Wairarapa meeting. I say surprising as he was very ordinary at Cambridge on Xmas Eve.

Does anyone know how Bettor's Pocket went at the workouts this morning?

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Jack has now raced 11 times at Alexandra Park since mid July , so according to my reading of the Accumulator Bonus conditions on the club's web site he will qualify for that bonus should he race again at the Park within 12 months from the beginning of the bonus, i.e. pre mid July 2016.
The $5000 is split 50/50 between owner and trainer so is an attractive and well merited reward for the stable in particular as they miss out on the other bonuses, e.g. Money Bags and Ultimate Bonus.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Yes, a real thrill it was Des and missiles flew through the air as Jack held out his stablemate in a close finish.

I picked up a lady's fascinator which landed at my feet and the grateful wearer retrieved it to have it applied to Jack's head in the stables later for some interesting photo shots.  Jack looked somewhat bemused by the whole performance.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:39 am

Happy New Year... What a great win by The Faithful yesterday. Great closing sectionals after working to hold the early lead. It was the perfect race for him being behind the leader until the home straight. It must have been a great race to witness on track. Bettors Pocket trialling tomorrow with Major Change also racing ... ATC 2014 is all action.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:54 am

I was a bit surprised to see Jack nominated this week after the trainer had said recently that you can't race them every week. However he does get a return to mobile racing and the field is now down one following one scratching.
Hopefully he will get a week off after this one , which is still quite a nice field.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:24 am

I too was pleased to see Jack back in a better grade this week, so I was surprised to read in the latest newsletter that the stable are debating whether to start him or not.

"This race is certainly not ideal for Jack and as it is hoped that more suitable races coming up will get enough nominations to actually get off the ground, it is doubtful that Jack will line up this week. A decision will be made in the next day or so"

So far he hasn't been withdrawn and has Sean Grayling nominated as his driver, so I guess that's a good sign that he will be lining up. I would hate to seem him withdrawn this week and having to race in a C3 to OC again next week.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:41 pm

The fields for this Friday are out now and this is much better as far as "racing in your own grade" goes.
This week Jack is in a race for C1 to C2, with C3's under conditions. The condition is that he is driven by a junior driver which is fair enough. It is better than racing C3 to Open Class horses as he has been doing recently. He also finally gets the preferred 2200m mobile start. Thank you Auckland Trotting Club, you get my tick of approval this week (not that that counts for much), in what is a very trying task of assembling competitive fields on such low numbers of nominated horses.

1 Amazon Lily C1
2 Robbie Burns C1
3 Tembi C1
4 Lebron C1
5 Eye Brow C1
6 Sir Richie C2
7 Emmanuel C2
8 The Faithful C3
---------------------------- Second Line ----------------------------
9 Can't Refuse C1

Not an easy race - not by any stretch of the imagination - not with Lebron and Emmanuel in the field, but better than the last couple of weeks races. I note that Amazon Lily is a dual nomination and may or may not start in this race - she is also nominated for Race 4 which is the fillies and mares race.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ShayneO on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:38 am

Cheers, Barry... The tactics should be pretty straightforward from the draw. Get to the front and stay there as long as possible!

ShayneO

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:27 am

Madison is an Australian, presently working for Barry Purdon and knows the horse well as a result.
I have not met him but he is well regarded by others who have.
I believe he drove some winners in Australia prior to coming here.
No doubt he will be keen to make his mark here with the few opportunities he has been given.
There is no penalty free status by him driving, to the best of my knowledge.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ShayneO on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:18 am

Anyone know anything about Madison Reynolds who appears to be driving The Faithful? Wonder the reasoning behind a junior driver... I know that plenty of the senior drivers are at Addington but I would've thought someone was available... is it possible it would be penalty-free with the junior driver?

ShayneO

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:19 pm

The Faithful would have started on equal terms alongside Besotted if the original two horse mobile race held up but now gets standing start barrier one and a 45metre start on Besotted who must now circle the field. I wonder who will drive The Faithful as Z. Butcher will be at Addington. Has anybody got feedback on Major Change other than the result of the trial. When is Major Star due back at the workouts? This afternoon I am off to watch a couple of races at Pinjarra. Delightful Offer v Beaudene Boaz in one race and an Interdominion warmup race featuring Norvic Nightowl, The Bucket List, Machtu, Jason Rulz and For A Reason.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Due to the pathetic number of nominations for the C2 to C3 2200m race with only two horses nominated, the race has of course been scrapped and Jack has now been shifted into the only available race which is a 2700m handicap standing start against C4 to Open Class horses. It is a tough ask, but is a consequence of the low number of horses racing in the Auckland/Waikato region.
I can only see this as an ongoing problem that can only become more severe in the future with the continuing flow of intermediate grade horses heading to Australia. Rolling Eyes
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Whilst The Faithful had every chance when beaten by River Polka, the front on view of the start shows major interference by the winner denying The Faithful the chance to get into stride more quickly. A very good drive by Zac Butcher and a brilliant drive by Tony Herlihy. He pushed off the fence (legally) to get onto The Faithful's back giving River Polka the last shot after doing nothing in the run.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Going for 4 in a row at Alexandra Park ... not many horses do that. Standing start ... a new experience. The Faithful is a C3 against higher rated horses ... needs to be at his top. If he wins will become the third highest money earner in New Zealand this season behind Smolda and Christen Me ... elite company. Get that fourth batten ready barryf ... hopefully you can nail it on after the race.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top