The Faithful

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Faithful

Post by geejay on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:00 pm

Just been watching a few races from Kaikoura and hell what a lotta dust was being thrown up in those races,surely watering the track a little was necessary,dunno what the make-up of the track there is but am not surprised if a horse would not be happy in these conditions and can well believe Zac's explanation for The Faithfuls performance.Certainly didn't look a happy horse am sure Addington will be another story,despite not having done well left handed before surely that can't be seen as a real problem seeing as they have taken him south.Hoping to see the real The Faithful next !!Smile

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:19 pm

Continues to look uncomfortable left handed and in big fields.  Won't be easier next week I feel,  unless he strikes  a small field.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:55 pm

The Stewards report is in.....

THE FAITHFUL - Paced roughly middle stages. Broke entering the bend near the 1000 metres. Driver Z Butcher reported that the gelding had not been suited to the track.

Hopefully Addington will be more to his liking next Tuesday? Embarassed

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ShayneO on Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:46 pm

So frustrating... he just didn't seem to going kindly at any stage. I was pretty confident of a first three finish pre-race, but nothing seemed to go right. He got away well enough but then got flushed wide and didn't seem like he was doing much even before the break. We all know he's a better horse than that!

ShayneO

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:59 pm

What is it about the South Island that Jack doesn't like???

Both North Island horses (Jack and Walkinshaw) extinguish their chances early on - and then the race is won by a half brother to one of our most "challenged" syndicate horses, Major Change (**** shakes head and cannot comprehend what he has just watched ****) Shocked
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:21 pm

It's Jack's chance to upgrade his poor record in the South Island ( never been placed) and left handed track racing (has never won), although the 20 metre handicap on a tight track will be challenging.
Walkinshaw's 5th. in last year's Derby makes him a prime contender, also Moonrock who did quite well in the same race and impressed first up for the season recently.  Of the others, Tas Man Bromac and Mighty Flying Major have talent so it reads like a competitive race for all involved.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:09 pm

The field for The Faithful's race on Monday includes a half brother to Major Change (Moonrock) and a half brother to Major Star (Dana Duke). None of the others horses have been competing against the class of horse that The Faithful has been taking on and beating. Even Walkinshaw has been racing the likes of Killer Queen when he won his last start. With his good barrier manners and the navigational skill of Zac Butcher we have to be a big chance even if we need to race outside the leader.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:25 pm

This came as (exciting) news to me too as I wasn't aware of the plan to take him South....although I was hoping they would.

Jack has drawn 2 on the 20m mark in a good strength field on Monday in Kaikoura. While he is usually pretty sharp from the stand I am mildly concerned about there being 5 horses off the front line and 6 off the 10m that he will need to navigate through/around at some point, so hopefully we will get a bit of luck in the running and he'll be in with a solid chance.

I was also extremely pleased to read they are talking about targeting the Auckland Cup with him on New Years eve. I've never really felt like the stable rated him that highly so I was a little surprised to see Barry's positive comments about him and that the Auckland Cup was the long term goal.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:46 pm

Looks like some great racing ahead for The Faithful. Good to see that he is being rated by the stable as highly as some syndicate members have rated him for some time. All he needs is some luck with barriers and no bad luck in the run and I am sure he will do us proud. P.S. Let Sean take him to Australia.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Interesting call on the drivers for this Friday.

Looks like Barry is going to drive Belle and Zac has jumped off Belle and onto Jack, with David Butcher and Brent Mangos driving the other stablemates.

I'm not sure if that shows Zac's confidence in Jack or whether Barry had pulled rank to drive Belle. Either way it's good to see that we have the 2 stable drivers engaged.  Cool

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:50 pm

I am looking forward very much to attending the races on Friday evening. It has worked out very well being the annual syndicate dinner night and having 3 syndicate horses to run on the night. Even more special to have 2 syndicate horses in the feature race of the night.
My pick - definitely Jack to finish ahead of Belle as he is in career best form at the moment.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Looking forward to Jack vs Belle the sequel this Friday.  bounce

Both horses off the same mark and drawn next to each other again.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:57 pm

I haven't seen Hug The Wind at trials/workouts for some time, nor have I seen any reports on his status so cannot help in that respect.

I agree that The Faithful continues to impress as the type of horse who could be suited by Inter Dominion championship conditions, but the costs of travel there and back, plus incidental expenses (stabling, security, accommodation, vet. issues etc.etc.) would far exceed the syndicate's travel fund so not a likely scenario at this stage I feel.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:10 pm

Another top run by The Faithful who had a far more difficult run than the two group one placegetters that he split on the line. He must be a very good chance in a race like the Auckland Cup. The report on the race was all about the return of Hughie Green mentioning the greatly improved The Faithful only briefly. Does Barry Purdon still rate Hug The Wind ahead of The Faithful? I would like to see an ambitious plan for The Faithful including some nice Australian races as he, like Ideal Belle, has earned the right to compete at the highest level. He is obviously a really good stayer now to match his proven ability to sit and sprint. Imagine The Faithful sitting behind the leader in a fast run major race ... even the 2017 Interdominion. He would be suited by the cumulative points method of determining the final field. What do others think? I am in this to experience the fun of racing a good horse in good races.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:32 am

I have just seen the workout with The Faithful running on nicely under his own steam to finish second behind Hughie Green. When you watch the workout it is interesting to note the comparative sizes of the first two horses. In an recent interview Barry Purdon rated Start Dreaming as his best horse ahead of Hug The Wind and Ideal Belle. I have got The Faithful as at least the equal of Hug The Wind and after the Spring Cup we should see how he measures up against Ideal Belle. If she stays sound then someone should get in Barry Purdon's ear about taking Ideal Belle to Australia for the major mares races.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:54 pm

What a great horse The Faithful is. For a sit sprint horse to do what he has done in the past week is fantastic. Have another look at the Harness Jewels race and tell me who would have won that race if The Faithful had drawn barrier one or nine as the race was run. I believe that he is a Group 1 winner waiting to happen. Bettors Pocket and The Faithful are the two most under rated horses on the North Island.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:55 pm

The run tonight has well and truly cemented my opinion that Jack has come back stronger than ever. To sit out parked and do it the hard way and to only go down by a nose - that was a top run.
Oh yes, and beat the race favourite who is a New Zealand Cup nominated runner.
Bring it on....... Dancing Banana
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:32 pm

I suspect it would have been spent on:
1. Over eating and drinking at a flashy restaurant-  $150

2. Car repairs and traffic fines following accidents resulting from the night out  $1000 (conservative)

3.Oh , nothing left  $60000 net of commsisions  say $52000 divided by 50 = $1040.  

Deficit = $110!

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:30 pm

After that great win and with the trainer saying that he will be improved by the run ... my mind wanders back to when we turned down the offer of $60,000 for The Faithful who immediately ran tailed off in the mud down south. A certain person close to the stable was reported as saying, How's that $60,000 looking now? ... well, after that run first up and $110,000 in prize money with the promise of more to come, I would like to ask, Hows that $60,000 looking now?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:19 am

cheers Well that win by The Faithful was sure one to cheer about,what a brilliant gutsy run that was,syndicate will be over the moon with that performance.Has certainly come back stronger than ever by the look of things.Congrats to all,exciting times ahead hopefully.
Can only dream of Ideal Belle making a return like this but as I have learnt since joining my syndicate anything can and does happen in racing so I'll hold onto that dream while I can.
Like others here on the forum the thought of continuing an interest in Belle as a broodmare later on would be very appealing ,not really a possibility as things are with me right now but want to say never say never and hope things change.
Certainly Australia seems to be the land of opportunity for our syndicate horses and though I understand it would probably be rather difficult to change the present setup of the ATC syndicates and base present horses over there either permanently or for extended periods it could certainly take the syndicates to another level.Lets hope Belle returns well enough and gets her chance at least to make it over there for a big race and put that Breeders Crown nightmare behind her.A nice group race win or 2 would sure boost her mum value,Auss or NZ won't matter.

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:39 pm

What a wonderful gutsy win tonight in horrible stormy wet and windy conditions. Sat parked, did it the hard way and still held on to beat the favourite. Zac no doubt thought the race was his on the favourite Arden's Choice after sitting in the one-one and getting the drag along from Jack. But no - our 5 year old Jack has come back stronger this preparation.
For those of you not in Auckland the moderate time of 2:45 was a good result in strong gusty winds that they contended with on three occasions down the home straight.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Well ShayneO, that was more like $5 CAD worth / $5.534 NZD / $5.271 AUD. Do you try to watch races live or is the time difference too much of a problem? I often record the races but the hardest thing is to not find out the result before I watch the replay. I wonder how many other syndicate members feel the same as you about Ideal Belle but have not voiced an opinion? What is a Stonewall syndicate and have you had any success? I hope that you can find the time to contribute more regularly as I'm sure that your opinions and experiences will be of great interest to us all.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ShayneO on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:28 pm

I pretty much fully agree with most of what you have been talking about Ray and Des. Being an exile here in Canada I was over the moon when I discovered this forum. The monthly updates are a little too much information & usually too late. On this forum I get the latest information straight away and I get the opinions of some of my fellow members.

I've been guilty of being one of the members of the forum who's done a lot of reading but very little contributing, primarily due to limited time with work and young children... once in a blue moon I get a few free minutes to myself.

I was involved with the 2000 syndicate (Matai Mackenzie etc.) then had a long break due to being overseas on the road (got back in NZ just I time to apply too late to join the syndicate that had Changeover! I've enjoyed being back the 2010, 12-14 syndicates but like Ray I'm done. I'm in one of the Stonewall syndicates & a couple of gallops syndicates (one in NZ & one here in Canada) and I get quicker updates as things happen.

It's rare for me to back in NZ, but I made to to see Major Star's last win at Manawatu & was there for the VicBred final in Melbourne. Apart from that Ideal Belle's first start and Charge Forward at the Jewels have been the only races I've seen live.

Like Des I hate the idea of Belle being sold. Would love to breed from her, if possible. I didn't mind selling Major Star to the US, but don't love that he's gone to Oz. As far as Major Change goes really we needed to sell him last year when he cruised through the grades (a little too fast). I think the Faithful needs to be racing in Australia, but those in power just don't seem open to the idea of racing the horses there rather than selling. I think had he gone to WA for his 4yo season we'd have seen much better returns & watching your horses win remotely is still a great thrill... I'm sure Des can attest to that as well as me.

Okay, that was my 5 cents worth!

ShayneO

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:21 pm

Happy Birthday ray the beancounter, from all the Western Australian syndicate members. My mental picture of you in a grass skirt and coconut bras is not a pleasing one. Please do not mention it again.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:59 pm

Des I will do my best to keep you updated with any tidbits of information that I garner in between the publication of the monthly newsletters.
Yes there are very good viewing numbers on the forums but as for it being an open forum I will only be happy when the blogs existence is made available to all syndicate members and we have 100-150+ members signed up.
I have some truly good friends in the syndicates and they keep me updated on most issues - for instance it was confirmed to me yesterday that Jack is now to have a spell, as would have been anticipated after the Jewels and after his long campaign. A resumption date was indicated to me but to be honest it has been a very busy weekend with much vodka consumed and I cannot quite remember the detail of this resumption (it was some time in the new racing year). It is my 50th tomorrow and we had a 12 hr long BBQ yesterday - the photos towards the end of the night in grass skirts and coconut bra's indicate the direction the evening progressed.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top