The Faithful

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Faithful

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:56 pm

Zac was very pleased with Jack's run tonight to finish off the way he did after being trapped four back on the fence. He is still keen on an Auckland Cup run with Jack and just wants a bit of luck to go his way in the running.
Will he make the cut to get into the final field????
Jack was full of himself in the stable after the race and was pacing back and forth and kicking the walls.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:07 pm

How is it that The Faithful is paying $56 to win the Franklin Cup this Friday where he has a 10-20m head start on most of his rivals and is only paying $51 to win the Auckland Cup, a race that he may not even get a start in unless he does well in the lead up races? Makes no sense.... scratch

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:30 am

I have only just now caught up with the phone message that Jack had already left Christchurch prior to the earthquake and was in fact at his layover stop in Bulls in the North Island when the quake struck. He was home at Barry Purdons by Tuesday 15th November and will be given a bit of a break to get over the travel, with a race on Friday 25th at Alex Park being considered and then waived. But it would appear that he will race early December from these indications.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:55 am

Does anybody know what the pre-quake plans were for Jack? Was he staying down in Christchurch for any intended period of time or was an immediate return trip to Auckland expected?
Obviously if he is still in Christchurch then he will likely now have to stay longer than may have been intended, due to the road network being so badly disrupted after the Kaikoura earthquake. The road trip from Christchurch to Picton is now a 6 to 7 hour journey via the slow and windy Lewis Pass, rather than a 4 hour trip straight up the Kaikoura coast. Then there is the issue of the Cook Strait ferries running on a reduced timetable (two ferries a day? instead of four) while they sort out the wharf damage at Picton and Wellington.
May be better to leave him in Christchurch and race him for 2 to 3 weeks while things settle down and minor road repairs are made.

Our thoughts are with all that live in the Kaikoura area - human, equine, and otherwise. Not a nice place to be at the moment.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:42 pm

The nominations  I see are Little Rascal, Maverick, Chase The Dream, Piccadilly Princess and Fifth Edition.

Chase The Dream is probably the best but is  not the star of the All Star's stable  Jack has beaten Maverick and Little Rascal, while Fifth Edition's C9  rating is inflated by several wins on the country circuit (Nelson, Marlborough, Oamaru). Hence why I see better prospects of getting some worthwhile prize money in that event.

But if he wins the handicap event from the likely 30 metres mark, then I will feel like an Irish rugby fan.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:55 pm

Dream About Me,Locharburn , Field Marshall and Picadilly Princess enough to scare anyone away. 20m spot I presume with Mr Mojito ,Moonrock,Alta Orlando,Captain Dolmio plus a big front line to manourve around also a bit daunting but may be the better of 2 evils.
Race 11 ,presently only 4 nominations,at Auckland friday night with Ideal Belle and co now looking a little more inviting.But Good luck and Go The Faithful.Hopefully Belle still to improve and Queen of Hearts and Auckland Cup can become realistic challenges for her.
Hope yous got a decent offer for Major Change ,thought Major Star went rather cheap.

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Yes- clearly an error, not for the first time as from memory he did not appear in the nominations for Kaikoura initially.

The 5 horse nominations for Race 12 still looks easier.

The meeting re Major Change is scheduled for tomorrow night at which time I would anticipate the offer will be accepted.

I thought Ideal Belle deserved to run second after doing all the work and she was back in front leaving the straight so that suggests she is close to top racing trim.  I was delayed in getting to the course and only watched from the car park so others may have more information.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Looks like a change of change of plans for The Faithful. The nominations have him off the front which seems incorrect as C4 horses are off 20m and he being a C5 is off the front. An error?
A good effort by Ideal Belle but the winner beat her on merit. Is she heading towards the top mares races and / or the Auckland Cup?
Do we still own Major Change or is he off to Australia. Where is he going if sold?
Looking forward to Bettors Pocket, Cha Cha B and Park Avenue hitting the workouts / trials in early December ... hopefully a Merry Christmas for us all.
Barry Purdon seems to be doing very well with his three year olds, hopefully Miss Kitty will join them.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:44 pm

The phone in message refers to the strength of the Junior Free for all being the factor for withdrawal.

Looking at the Friday free for all I don't see anything in there which he couldn't Beat.  The suggestion to run in a C2 & faster handicap off 30 metres, against Mr. Mojito and Kotare Yeal etc. looks a tougher one to me.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:49 pm

Has not accepted for Tuesday after all, which will be a disappointment.
Still in the noms for Friday, in a likely weaker line up.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:13 pm

Jack is indeed still nominated for the Junior Free For All on Cup day, a race that has only 8 noms but includes the likes of Piccadilly Princess, Dream About Me, Field Marshal and Locharburn. pale

He's also nominated for a $20k race over 1950m on Show day, which again only currently has 8 noms with Piccadilly Princess and Chase The Dream among them.

Let's hope for good draws and some luck in the running on both days. Fingers Crossed

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ShayneO on Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Yep, Geejay, I was wondering about that dust myself... I was a little stupefied to be honest. Let's hope for no dust and a better run next start!

ShayneO

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:00 pm

Just been watching a few races from Kaikoura and hell what a lotta dust was being thrown up in those races,surely watering the track a little was necessary,dunno what the make-up of the track there is but am not surprised if a horse would not be happy in these conditions and can well believe Zac's explanation for The Faithfuls performance.Certainly didn't look a happy horse am sure Addington will be another story,despite not having done well left handed before surely that can't be seen as a real problem seeing as they have taken him south.Hoping to see the real The Faithful next !!Smile

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:19 pm

Continues to look uncomfortable left handed and in big fields.  Won't be easier next week I feel,  unless he strikes  a small field.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:55 pm

The Stewards report is in.....

THE FAITHFUL - Paced roughly middle stages. Broke entering the bend near the 1000 metres. Driver Z Butcher reported that the gelding had not been suited to the track.

Hopefully Addington will be more to his liking next Tuesday? Embarassed

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ShayneO on Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:46 pm

So frustrating... he just didn't seem to going kindly at any stage. I was pretty confident of a first three finish pre-race, but nothing seemed to go right. He got away well enough but then got flushed wide and didn't seem like he was doing much even before the break. We all know he's a better horse than that!

ShayneO

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:59 pm

What is it about the South Island that Jack doesn't like???

Both North Island horses (Jack and Walkinshaw) extinguish their chances early on - and then the race is won by a half brother to one of our most "challenged" syndicate horses, Major Change (**** shakes head and cannot comprehend what he has just watched ****) Shocked
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:21 pm

It's Jack's chance to upgrade his poor record in the South Island ( never been placed) and left handed track racing (has never won), although the 20 metre handicap on a tight track will be challenging.
Walkinshaw's 5th. in last year's Derby makes him a prime contender, also Moonrock who did quite well in the same race and impressed first up for the season recently.  Of the others, Tas Man Bromac and Mighty Flying Major have talent so it reads like a competitive race for all involved.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:09 pm

The field for The Faithful's race on Monday includes a half brother to Major Change (Moonrock) and a half brother to Major Star (Dana Duke). None of the others horses have been competing against the class of horse that The Faithful has been taking on and beating. Even Walkinshaw has been racing the likes of Killer Queen when he won his last start. With his good barrier manners and the navigational skill of Zac Butcher we have to be a big chance even if we need to race outside the leader.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:25 pm

This came as (exciting) news to me too as I wasn't aware of the plan to take him South....although I was hoping they would.

Jack has drawn 2 on the 20m mark in a good strength field on Monday in Kaikoura. While he is usually pretty sharp from the stand I am mildly concerned about there being 5 horses off the front line and 6 off the 10m that he will need to navigate through/around at some point, so hopefully we will get a bit of luck in the running and he'll be in with a solid chance.

I was also extremely pleased to read they are talking about targeting the Auckland Cup with him on New Years eve. I've never really felt like the stable rated him that highly so I was a little surprised to see Barry's positive comments about him and that the Auckland Cup was the long term goal.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:46 pm

Looks like some great racing ahead for The Faithful. Good to see that he is being rated by the stable as highly as some syndicate members have rated him for some time. All he needs is some luck with barriers and no bad luck in the run and I am sure he will do us proud. P.S. Let Sean take him to Australia.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Interesting call on the drivers for this Friday.

Looks like Barry is going to drive Belle and Zac has jumped off Belle and onto Jack, with David Butcher and Brent Mangos driving the other stablemates.

I'm not sure if that shows Zac's confidence in Jack or whether Barry had pulled rank to drive Belle. Either way it's good to see that we have the 2 stable drivers engaged.  Cool

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:50 pm

I am looking forward very much to attending the races on Friday evening. It has worked out very well being the annual syndicate dinner night and having 3 syndicate horses to run on the night. Even more special to have 2 syndicate horses in the feature race of the night.
My pick - definitely Jack to finish ahead of Belle as he is in career best form at the moment.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Looking forward to Jack vs Belle the sequel this Friday.  bounce

Both horses off the same mark and drawn next to each other again.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:57 pm

I haven't seen Hug The Wind at trials/workouts for some time, nor have I seen any reports on his status so cannot help in that respect.

I agree that The Faithful continues to impress as the type of horse who could be suited by Inter Dominion championship conditions, but the costs of travel there and back, plus incidental expenses (stabling, security, accommodation, vet. issues etc.etc.) would far exceed the syndicate's travel fund so not a likely scenario at this stage I feel.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top