The Faithful

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Faithful

Post by Des Carruthers on Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:10 pm

Another top run by The Faithful who had a far more difficult run than the two group one placegetters that he split on the line. He must be a very good chance in a race like the Auckland Cup. The report on the race was all about the return of Hughie Green mentioning the greatly improved The Faithful only briefly. Does Barry Purdon still rate Hug The Wind ahead of The Faithful? I would like to see an ambitious plan for The Faithful including some nice Australian races as he, like Ideal Belle, has earned the right to compete at the highest level. He is obviously a really good stayer now to match his proven ability to sit and sprint. Imagine The Faithful sitting behind the leader in a fast run major race ... even the 2017 Interdominion. He would be suited by the cumulative points method of determining the final field. What do others think? I am in this to experience the fun of racing a good horse in good races.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:32 am

I have just seen the workout with The Faithful running on nicely under his own steam to finish second behind Hughie Green. When you watch the workout it is interesting to note the comparative sizes of the first two horses. In an recent interview Barry Purdon rated Start Dreaming as his best horse ahead of Hug The Wind and Ideal Belle. I have got The Faithful as at least the equal of Hug The Wind and after the Spring Cup we should see how he measures up against Ideal Belle. If she stays sound then someone should get in Barry Purdon's ear about taking Ideal Belle to Australia for the major mares races.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:54 pm

What a great horse The Faithful is. For a sit sprint horse to do what he has done in the past week is fantastic. Have another look at the Harness Jewels race and tell me who would have won that race if The Faithful had drawn barrier one or nine as the race was run. I believe that he is a Group 1 winner waiting to happen. Bettors Pocket and The Faithful are the two most under rated horses on the North Island.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:55 pm

The run tonight has well and truly cemented my opinion that Jack has come back stronger than ever. To sit out parked and do it the hard way and to only go down by a nose - that was a top run.
Oh yes, and beat the race favourite who is a New Zealand Cup nominated runner.
Bring it on....... Dancing Banana
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:32 pm

I suspect it would have been spent on:
1. Over eating and drinking at a flashy restaurant-  $150

2. Car repairs and traffic fines following accidents resulting from the night out  $1000 (conservative)

3.Oh , nothing left  $60000 net of commsisions  say $52000 divided by 50 = $1040.  

Deficit = $110!

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:30 pm

After that great win and with the trainer saying that he will be improved by the run ... my mind wanders back to when we turned down the offer of $60,000 for The Faithful who immediately ran tailed off in the mud down south. A certain person close to the stable was reported as saying, How's that $60,000 looking now? ... well, after that run first up and $110,000 in prize money with the promise of more to come, I would like to ask, Hows that $60,000 looking now?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:19 am

cheers Well that win by The Faithful was sure one to cheer about,what a brilliant gutsy run that was,syndicate will be over the moon with that performance.Has certainly come back stronger than ever by the look of things.Congrats to all,exciting times ahead hopefully.
Can only dream of Ideal Belle making a return like this but as I have learnt since joining my syndicate anything can and does happen in racing so I'll hold onto that dream while I can.
Like others here on the forum the thought of continuing an interest in Belle as a broodmare later on would be very appealing ,not really a possibility as things are with me right now but want to say never say never and hope things change.
Certainly Australia seems to be the land of opportunity for our syndicate horses and though I understand it would probably be rather difficult to change the present setup of the ATC syndicates and base present horses over there either permanently or for extended periods it could certainly take the syndicates to another level.Lets hope Belle returns well enough and gets her chance at least to make it over there for a big race and put that Breeders Crown nightmare behind her.A nice group race win or 2 would sure boost her mum value,Auss or NZ won't matter.

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:39 pm

What a wonderful gutsy win tonight in horrible stormy wet and windy conditions. Sat parked, did it the hard way and still held on to beat the favourite. Zac no doubt thought the race was his on the favourite Arden's Choice after sitting in the one-one and getting the drag along from Jack. But no - our 5 year old Jack has come back stronger this preparation.
For those of you not in Auckland the moderate time of 2:45 was a good result in strong gusty winds that they contended with on three occasions down the home straight.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Well ShayneO, that was more like $5 CAD worth / $5.534 NZD / $5.271 AUD. Do you try to watch races live or is the time difference too much of a problem? I often record the races but the hardest thing is to not find out the result before I watch the replay. I wonder how many other syndicate members feel the same as you about Ideal Belle but have not voiced an opinion? What is a Stonewall syndicate and have you had any success? I hope that you can find the time to contribute more regularly as I'm sure that your opinions and experiences will be of great interest to us all.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ShayneO on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:28 pm

I pretty much fully agree with most of what you have been talking about Ray and Des. Being an exile here in Canada I was over the moon when I discovered this forum. The monthly updates are a little too much information & usually too late. On this forum I get the latest information straight away and I get the opinions of some of my fellow members.

I've been guilty of being one of the members of the forum who's done a lot of reading but very little contributing, primarily due to limited time with work and young children... once in a blue moon I get a few free minutes to myself.

I was involved with the 2000 syndicate (Matai Mackenzie etc.) then had a long break due to being overseas on the road (got back in NZ just I time to apply too late to join the syndicate that had Changeover! I've enjoyed being back the 2010, 12-14 syndicates but like Ray I'm done. I'm in one of the Stonewall syndicates & a couple of gallops syndicates (one in NZ & one here in Canada) and I get quicker updates as things happen.

It's rare for me to back in NZ, but I made to to see Major Star's last win at Manawatu & was there for the VicBred final in Melbourne. Apart from that Ideal Belle's first start and Charge Forward at the Jewels have been the only races I've seen live.

Like Des I hate the idea of Belle being sold. Would love to breed from her, if possible. I didn't mind selling Major Star to the US, but don't love that he's gone to Oz. As far as Major Change goes really we needed to sell him last year when he cruised through the grades (a little too fast). I think the Faithful needs to be racing in Australia, but those in power just don't seem open to the idea of racing the horses there rather than selling. I think had he gone to WA for his 4yo season we'd have seen much better returns & watching your horses win remotely is still a great thrill... I'm sure Des can attest to that as well as me.

Okay, that was my 5 cents worth!

ShayneO

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:21 pm

Happy Birthday ray the beancounter, from all the Western Australian syndicate members. My mental picture of you in a grass skirt and coconut bras is not a pleasing one. Please do not mention it again.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:59 pm

Des I will do my best to keep you updated with any tidbits of information that I garner in between the publication of the monthly newsletters.
Yes there are very good viewing numbers on the forums but as for it being an open forum I will only be happy when the blogs existence is made available to all syndicate members and we have 100-150+ members signed up.
I have some truly good friends in the syndicates and they keep me updated on most issues - for instance it was confirmed to me yesterday that Jack is now to have a spell, as would have been anticipated after the Jewels and after his long campaign. A resumption date was indicated to me but to be honest it has been a very busy weekend with much vodka consumed and I cannot quite remember the detail of this resumption (it was some time in the new racing year). It is my 50th tomorrow and we had a 12 hr long BBQ yesterday - the photos towards the end of the night in grass skirts and coconut bra's indicate the direction the evening progressed.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:45 pm

I am immune to the mood of the various syndicates as the only time that I see fellow members is when you are all celebrating on the track after a win. I really enjoy the syndicates and have absolutely no negative thoughts regarding them (except the idea of selling Ideal Belle)however I have an insatiable thirst for all things pacing (don't care much for trotters) and in lieu of conversation with fellow members, the monthly news letters (which I think are great) are my main source of information along with this blogsite. I guess that we do have an open forum in place, it is just that most members chose not to contribute, however the numbers suggest that the views of the regular contributers are well monitored.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Yeah, sorry Des, just venting my frustration.
I just think of how much better the morale of the syndicates could be with an open discussion forum in place - I believe that I am correct in thinking that you are of the same opinion.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:43 pm

I think that I may have touched a nerve ... sorry ray the beancounter. Also sorry to hear that you may terminate after the ATC 2017 runs its course. Let's hope that we can all have a lot of fun in the meantime and a big win or two, with Ideal Belle (the racehorse), The Faithful (sit and sprint champion), Bettors Pocket (next years Country Cup) and several of the currently unknown ability group from ATC 2016 and ATC 2017.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:29 pm

Des it will be a matter of having to wait for our monthly newsletter for us to be told what they want us to know.

Going from past experiences advised by other syndicate members Barry Purdon has not been one to communicate unnecessarily with us mere plebs and has been known to shun requests for information and advises that all information will only be provided to the syndicate manager.

Some trainers are good communicators and others leave a lot to be desired in this regard. One of the most approachable and friendly trainers that I have come across in the syndicates has been Brent Mangos, friendly approachable and willing to discuss a syndicate horse with any interested syndicate member.

Rob will firstly not support any contact being made with trainers and secondly will not agree to any communique from a trainer being published on a blog. We are mushrooms that must be kept in the dark, to be provided only with the authorised information that we are officially provided with, in the “official communication channels”.

I have tried to improve the communication channels available to syndicate members but I am sick of hitting my head against a brick wall.
It was me that pushed to have a voluntary syndicate contact list circulated to the 2010 and 2012 syndicate members. The uptake from syndicate members to provide their contact details was lukewarm at best. Our syndicate manager has not offered to circulate any similar contact register to the 2013, 2014, 2016 or 2017 syndicate members. That really says it all in regard to the syndicate management opinion, approach and policy on encouraging communication between members. I have also suggested the online blog to Rob Carr to encourage syndicate member communication – this was also declined.

It is due to this tiresome approach of providing one-way communication and active discouragement of communication between syndicate members that my participation in the syndicates ends with the 2017 syndicate. Yes the horses from that syndicate will likely be around for 4 years or so (with luck), but that will be the end of my involvement – I have become yet another disillusioned member and there are several of them floating around currently.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:17 pm

Take a look at The Faithful running in the Jewels both this year and last year. For a sit sprint horse, the lack of luck (no fault of the driver) is amazing together with the poor barrier draws in the Messenger and Taylor Mile. The Faithful has been up for a long time. Does anyone know if he is heading for a spell or racing on? He is more than paying his way and giving his owners some exciting racing including three recent Group 1 events. I am certainly glad that he was not sold when we had that offer. How are Ideal Belle and Miss Kitty going? There is no mention of them on the Barry Purdon website. Perhaps a new direction for this blog could be to invite Barry Purdon to write a more detailed summary and opinion on the three syndicate horses that he trains including possible races to target. He could email it to one of our contributors who could then deliver it to the blog. This may need to be run past the syndicate manager in case we would be overstepping the mark in making contact with the trainers. Members who are in all four current syndicates are making a substantial monetary contribution per year and in my opinion it doesn't seem a lot to ask.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:31 am

ray the beancounter wrote: he either has crap draws to contend with or strikes interference in the running.

....or both.

I also thought he looked to be traveling really well when Zac hooked him out 4 wide to make a run, which he obviously wouldn't have done if he wasn't traveling well. The camera lost sight of him after the check so I'm not sure how much he was asked to do in the home straight, but he clearly would have finished a lot closer without the interference.
I didn't put any expectations on him after I saw the barrier draw, but while I am mildly disappointed with the result, I am quite pleased with Jack's performance in the circumstances.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:35 pm

I seriously thought that Jack would finish in the first 5 and without the interference on the corner that was a realistic expectation.
Just how unlucky can any horse be when it comes to Group 1 races - he either has crap draws to contend with or strikes interference in the running.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:55 pm

And despite everything, including being eased to the line, he still ran 1 min 56.7 for the 1609m. How fast could he go on the rail at Menangle? Roll on next year's Miracle Mile ... or am I thinking about Ideal Belle ... or Major Star for his new owners?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:46 pm

I see he was mentioned in the Stewards 'Report in that he was carried wide and took evasive action when Hug The Wind weakened and broke.

I thought he was travelling quite well to that stage and would have finished a lot closer without that hindrance.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:35 pm

Victim of barrier and circumstances including interference on the home turn but how wide can you get without endangering the public? Still we must be patient and wait for some luck because if we had swapped barriers with Usain Colt today, I think that we would have won the Jewels. The Faithful has now earned in excess of $100,000.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:52 pm

Good luck to all the loyal supporters venturing to Cambridge on Saturday

The school soccer game I was going to is not now on so will watch it all on Trackside with some regular refreshments and a few first fours as a financial interest.

A small wager on Jack at $71 and $11 looks tempting too! Harness Dancing Banana

P.S. Cannot believe Risk at $101 & $14- worth a look too.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Tue May 31, 2016 4:14 pm

Zac is now listed as Jack's driver for the Jewels on the HRNZ website.  Smile

Interestingly Tony Herlihy is listed as the driver for My Kiwi Mate and also still as the trainer for the emergency Hank Bromac. I assume if there was a scratching and Hank Bromac made the field Tony would either need to change drives or sign over the training the rights to someone else?

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat May 28, 2016 6:16 pm

Regarding the Harness Jewels 4yo colts and geldings it is interesting to note that Franco Texas (barrier 4) finished lower in the final rankings than Bettors Pocket. I wonder if Zac Butcher will stick with The Faithful or get behind Hug The Wind. Little Rascal (barrier 2) could make a bid to lead. My Kiwi Mate must go forward as should Hug The Wind so gaps could appear if the back row don't push up behind them too quickly. The Faithful can win from barrier 6 provided Field Marshal does not lead but it will take the drive of the century to do it.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top