General / Social

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General / Social

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:00 am

It is a catch-22 situation with North Island harness racing. The lack of available racing within ones own grade is leading to horses being exported sooner than is desired, in order to get better racing opportunities in Australia. Then the more horses being exported leads to fewer horses running in the north which leads to difficulty in filling fields to be able to run a race the first place. It leads to an ever decreasing circle of horses running in the intermediate and upper ratings bands.

Hence horses having to run out of their grade with races in the intermediate and upper grades being spanned across widening ratings ranges, just to get enough horses together to run a race.

A prime example of lack of numbers is the fact that the highest rated pacing race at Alexandra Park on Friday evening is for R60 to R79 and even that is down to a field of 7 horses (ie. no third dividend paid). There is not enough horses rated better than R79 to put on a race. If you had a horse rated better than R79 that you had in work then you had better try Australia if you want to race it regularly to be able to pay its way.
I agree that Bettors Pocket will be following The Faithful in the near future for this very reason.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:27 pm

The number of exported horses since 7th June is 71. Whilst some are overseas to race and will return, surely these numbers are unsustainable for New Zealand trotting. Why do these horses have a future in Australia and not in NZ? We have seen a large spread of ratings competing in the highest rated race most Fridays at Alexandra Park forcing horses like The Faithful to be sold when most of the owners really enjoyed racing him themselves. Bettors Pocket may not be far behind him. Is this being addressed at HRNZ level or will NZ horses continue to be bred for export either before they race or when they reach their mark. I still really enjoy watching Major Star (two Menangle wins this week) and will follow The Faithful and Miss Kitty with the same enthusiasm as when I owned 1/50th of them.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:48 pm

Hello nealclan, I do get the updates but still look forward to the newsletters however with the regular updates and the newsletter photos not including any names (I still have not met any fellow members nor seen any of my horses) the newsletter is becoming less relevant for me.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

[passwords

Post by nealclan on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:41 pm

I have been in touch with It at Auckland Trotting club and they have assured me that the pass words have been fixed to
lower case Also Des you should get Monday and Friday up date from Andrew do you not get them

nealclan

Back to top Go down

Post by nealclan on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:46 am

Try putting Capitals this worked for me

nealclan

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Is anybody else having trouble with the passwords for the current June 2017 newsletters?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Congratulations to the connections of Sky Major. Feels like a victory for our team in a distant sort of way. After a couple of disappointing runs of late does anyone have an update on our horses and their immediate racing futures?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri May 29, 2015 9:02 pm

Thank you Barry. I like Lancewood Lizzie and my roughy is Royal Willie. I was looking forward to making a late run in the dream team competition but two of my horses have been scratched ( Dalton Bromac and Habibti Ivy ) so my chance of a glorious late run has been greatly reduced.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Fri May 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Des, I asked HRNZ your question but they must be reluctant to reply as I have had no response.

Possible scribes could be Stu Bailey and Matt Markham- but I may be wrong.

A further thought re Jewels betting.  I have only ever taken one Triple Trio but tomorrow's looks gettable for a modest outlay.
Am going to Bank 2 in each leg with 3 others in each leg which will involve 27 combinations, so for a lazy $5 you could obtain an 18% return, if successful. They also pay a concession on the first two legs I believe but may need to check that.

Good luck!

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed May 27, 2015 6:04 pm

Weather is more settled now Des,  after a stormy last weekend, so hopefully track conditions will be good at Ashburton.

School soccer, which I follow, is not on this Saturday so will be able to put my  feet up in front of the tele and heat pump and focus on the two funded quaddies, in particular.

Best bets, at short odds, The Orange Agent and Lazarus.
Best roughies, though not that rough , for me would be Missandei and Prince Fearless.
The Faithful will certainly be rough but the chance of getting a place looks remote, so not punting him.
Will probably go 2/2/3/3 or similar combinations for a $6 to $10 outlay in the quaddies. Got some of their money last week in the $500 quaddie at Auckland and would be nice to do that again. pig flying.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue May 26, 2015 9:49 pm

Three hoses in the same syndicate in the same race ... who would you support? Interestingly, The Oyster Bar is still racing in Perth and pops up every now and then. Is anyone going to Ashburton for the Jewels ? Please lodge your best bets and best roughies for the Jewels. I will be watching from 7.30am on Saturday and I need the informed opinion of the blog members so that I can hit the Western Australian TAB. Does anyone know who writes up the Trottech comments as I find them both informative and useful.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Fri May 22, 2015 6:32 pm

The first syndicate I was a part of (ATC 2009) had all 3 horses start against each other in the same race on the grass at Pukekohe a few years back. The Oyster Bar won the race, Toddy finished 3rd and De Tont was a luckless 7th.

As for racing other horses, the only other ownership I've been a part of was the YOR racing with Mark Jones syndicate run by Mark MacNamara. It was a lease syndicate which didn't quite go to plan as we ended up with 7 different horses during the 2 year lease due to injuries, underperformance and selling one to Aus. It was still a lot of fun as we had 6 wins from 4 individual winners and got $320 of our original $350 outlay back at the end of it.
Our winners were Curve, Pat's First Sun, Crazy Heart and Mach's A Flyin x3. (who also earned a Met Multipler while we owned him)

Last edited by Conwell on Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat May 16, 2015 2:13 pm

I have been in 5 syndicates to date (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016), so not as long as many others, but in my period of involvement I do not recall three horses from the same syndicate racing on the same night.

Prior to Friday nights races I considered Bettors Pocket, Major Change and The Faithful to be good chances of finishing in the first three – and was confident enough to put money where my optimistic brain cells were.
But post race - to summarise the racing performances of the four horses I would say:

Bettors Pocket – “very nice run to break from maiden company in horrible conditions”
Rhubarb Lane – “what the hell was that??” affraid
Major Change – “went just okay”
The Faithful – “concern for the horse…is he okay? and will he continue to progress to the Jewels?”
I read in the stipes report that Zac blames the conditions for the performance, I hope he was right because it sure didn’t look good.

I won’t be heading down to Ashburton for the Jewels and will have to try and watch some on the TV as and when I can, while I am helping a relative move into their first house. I offered before realising it was Jewels day – I stuffed up on that one………

As for racing horses outside of the syndicates, yes, four horses to date - that have cost a small fortune to train. You go into this for the love of harness racing not for the financial retrun.
1. Bobby Maravu a P-Forty-Seven gelding trained by Tony Herlihy. Had 3 starts for 1 placing and was then sold to Aus.
2. Ideal Diamante – an American Ideal gelding trained by Tony Herlihy. Won on debut at an Auckland Trotting Club evening meeting which was a real thrill. Went on to race 8 times for us for 2 wins and 3 seconds. Showed some real ability but was sold to Aus after I was out-voted 2 to 1. Has only had the one winning start in Aus (Aug 2014) trained by Andy Gath and hasn’t been seen since so may have gone amiss, I don’t know.
3. Hearts Delight – a 3 yr old Bettors Delight filly trained by Adrienne Matthews. Her dam was a NZ record holder but I don’t think that our Amy (stable name) was blessed with the speed gene. She has had 8 starts for 1 win in the grass at Wanganui and is currently out for a 6 month spell after which we will give her one more chance as a 4 yr old. The breeding paddock may be her calling.
4. In De Nile – a 2 yr old unqualified Santanna Blue Chip filly in training with Adrienne Matthews. Is showing some ability in her training but has a real attitude and is a stroppy bitch to work with. We just hope that this aggression transfers through to her racing.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri May 15, 2015 10:51 pm

Barry, it sounds like you need treatment for your addiction.
Might I suggest a darkened room and replays of the last starts of Major Star, Major Change, The Faithful and Rhubarb Lane.
But then again there is Extra Blast, Some Change and Miss Kitty. And then again after a spell there is new hope of recapturing past glories. At 2% ownership, the story of each horse, win or lose, is what keeps me interested.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Fri May 15, 2015 9:34 am

An interesting observation there Des.
I cannot recall all 3  horses from one syndicate having raced on the same day but some super sleuth may know otherwise.

But particularly memorable was the Auckland Cup in 2010 which saw 3 ATC syndicate horses from different syndicates taking part- Tintin In America (2008 synd.) 2nd., Changeover (2006) 5th. and Awesome Armbro (2005) 6th.

It is certainly possible for all 3 to win, with the Manawatu candidates looking the most likely and The Faithful at least a strong place prospect. Kept Under Wraps is the favourite in his race and is a real threat.

Am not going to the Jewels but bound to be a team there. I saw one of our members in the cheering crowd after The Orange Agent's win last week, so he is already down there!

Has anyone been in all syndicates? I doubt it. Some I know only go in the even years, others every second one etc.etc.  I have been in 8, including the latest one.  I started off thinking every 4 years, which became 3 years, then 2, then 1- suggests it is getting an addictive habit, as I keep thinking, "That's enough!" but it doesn't happen.

barryf

Back to top Go down

General / Social

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu May 14, 2015 11:26 pm

On Friday all three ATC 2014 horses are racing on the same day. Has this ever happened before?
Furthermore, Trottech selects Bettors Pocket and Major Change to win with The Faithful selected to run second.
Is it possible for all three to win on the same night? Post your opinion.
Who is going to the Harness Jewels?
Has anyone been in every syndicate and if not who has been in the most syndicates?
Does anyone race horses outside the syndicates ?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top