Diversifying my portfolio (of horses)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Diversifying my portfolio (of horses)

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 am

Edamfast has had three career race starts to date for an 8th and a 3rd (both runs were encouraging) and then a win at Manawatu yesterday. He drew 8 which is the inside of the back row but the winning of the race was when he was able to punch threw from the start and land in third spot. It was nice to be able to make a significant withdrawal from the TAB as he paid $8.80 for a win and $2.10 for a place.
He will back up again tomorrow (Thursday) so fingers crossed that the first days run has not flattened him Fingers Crossed
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Edamfast to make his debut at Alexandra Park this Friday evening in Race 10 at 9.55pm. Drawn number 7 but that might not be as bad as it sounds as he is a big lump of a horse and it takes a bit to get his rubber band wound up. I don't expect him to be overly fast off the mobile and he is best left for one run at them at the finish.
He has not raced at Alexandra Park but a couple of weekends ago he did spend half of the Sunday at the track and was used as part of the amateurs driving course, so he has had a good look at the Park.
Don't disgrace us "Dale"....... Fingers Crossed
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:44 am

Good luck with your Betterthancheddar colts Ray,looking forward to seeing them debut.

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:09 pm

The two Betterthancheddar colts have now qualified. “The Chesdale Kid” (stable name Ches) qualified at Pukekohe on 5th September in a time that was 3.5 seconds under the required time. He came in off the track with a small amount of blood on a hoof and a 2cm crack in a hoof so he has been put out in the paddock for a month while this grows out. He is doing really well and there is no sign of this affecting or bothering him with no limp or lameness. Just a minor setback to the commencement of his racing. He is no world beater and is only a little guy but he is a trier.
Then there is the other Betterthancheddar colt “Edamfast” (stable name of Dale or Dodo as he is a bit of a big goof) who ran in his qualifier on Tuesday and stomped down the finishing straight to win a five horse race and finish 4.2 seconds under the required time. He had a snotty nose but still did a brilliant job and is being dosed up with vitamin C and Echinacea to help get over this. His racing commencement has thus been put back a week but will make his debut very soon. I am looking forward to this as he does appear to have some ability - a bit of a lazy goof and is as green as grass but when he is wound up he covers some ground with his big strides.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:12 pm

A media release tells me that Mr.Beancounter has reached a milestone today which may entitle him to further diversify his portfolio of horses, should any spare beans come his way.

But then he has already anticipated that action as we see above.

Happy birthday anyway young fellow!

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:13 pm

No wifey doesn’t read the blog, she is not very computer literate and hasn’t yet progressed past the point of turning on a computer and playing a game thereon. Linda, my wife, certainly knows about all of the horses we are involved with and particularly likes to keep up with the progress of the young ones.
I may not have told her about each respective purchase at the time of purchasing them, but she is usually made aware of them within a short period of time. Rolling Eyes

I went along to the sale with the main intention of checking out Lot 88 a full brother to Ideal Diamante that I previously had an ownership share in. I asked a trainer that I am associated with to have a look at him but she was not keen on his conformation as he had pasterns that were slightly longer than normal, which she advised could be a weak point. We therefore overlooked him but I see that he was sold to a South Island buyer for $9,000.

Another that I was keen to look at was Lot 80 a Betterthancheddar colt out of Chevyover. I took an ownership share in a full brother that we purchased at the 2015 weanling sale and he, as a yearling now, is coming along very nicely so much so that he may even run early. The weanling full brother that was for sale this year however looked nothing like our boy, so we again bypassed purchasing him.

As for horses that we own personally, or more realistically have a share of ownership in personally, there are 3 of them. (1) Honey the new weanling, (2) the Betterthancheddar – Chevyover colt mentioned above named “The Chesdale Kid” (stable name Ches), and (3) a second yearling colt (also purchased as a weanling at the 2015 weanling sale) and he is also by Betterthancheddar, out of Luck be a Lady. That one is called “Edamfast” with a stable name of Dale.
Dale is two months older than Ches and is quite a bit larger, so much so that we will have to be a bit more patient with him while he grows into his bigger frame and he may not see a racetrack until he is a 3 year old.

My trainer purchased Honey (and yes that stable name is after her dam) and after she went through the ring I went along to see her in the stables - and liked what I saw, so much so that I then offered to take a share.

I did take particular notice when Lot 168 came up for sale in the ring (the American Ideal – Bettorkeepthefaith filly) and I watched to see if Barry Purdon showed any interest, but he did not make a bid so it was not on his radar.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:48 pm

Looks like a nice strong type ray the beancounter. Did you attend the sales with the intention of buying something. Is she stablenamed Honey after her dam? Quite a coincidence with ATC 2017 filly Bet I Can also given Honey as a stable name. I see that at the same sale a lot by American Ideal out of a full sister to The Faithful (Bettorkeepthefaith) was sold for $9000 ... an interesting purchase. How many horses, other than ATC syndicate horses do you have an interest in ray the beancounter or does your wife not know and she may read this blogsite?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:13 am

Nice colour and head, Ray.  Not hard to see how she caught your eye ( and wallet).

Good luck.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:52 pm

Haha, I am a sucker for punishment. I went to the weanling sales at Karaka on Friday and bought a share in another filly. I will call it an impulsive birthday present to justify it.
Lot 102 a Grinfromeartoear filly out of a Mach Three mare. Yes it is a gamble as she is a first foal but the 2nd and 3rd dam have been good producers of successful progeny. As a weanling it will be a couple of years before she races but that will extend my involvement in harness racing for a good long while yet.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:59 pm

Good luck! So when, and if, they get beaten we can only say "Stiff Cheese, Ray!".

barryf

Back to top Go down

Diversifying my portfolio (of horses)

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:23 pm

I like the look of the new-to-NZ sire in Betterthancheddar who is a well performed son of Bettors Delight. His first crop of foals are weanlings.

To put my money where my mouth is I have taken a small share in two Betterthancheddar weanling colts. Obviously it will be at least a couple of years before they race but I like that idea of taking an educated gamble in a new sire on the local scene.

We had a lot of fun creating “cheesy” names and we now wait for HRNZ to register a name to see what we end up with after having lodged three alternatives for each horse. All I know at the moment are their stable names of Ches and Dale after the well known NZ cheese ads on television from yesteryear.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top