Diversifying my portfolio (of horses)

Go down

Re: Diversifying my portfolio (of horses)

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi Geejay, nice to hear from you. Yes Dodo (Edamfast) is developing into a really nice horse and I am not going to lose any sleep over the fact that the bookies and commentators do not like him. The more they ignore him the better his odds at the TAB, in fact I called into the local TAB on the way home this afternoon to collect Friday’s winnings – the look on the face of the TAB staff member was priceless.
If Dodo is in the trail behind the leader coming to the last corner heading for the finish line then there is a better than even chance that he will win, he just loves popping off the back of the leader and flashing down the passing lane. He has such a long stride and covers a lot of distance with every step.
He likes distance so it will be interesting to see how he goes this Friday in just a mile race, especially when he is handicapped out of it starting from number 12. I would rather that he skipped this week and raced next week instead. He handles 2700 meters very well and I would like to see him at some stage run a 3200 meter race, I think he would manage that extra distance without too much problem.
We had a couple of phone calls last week from agents asking after him with a possibility of racing him in Australia but at this stage we are holding onto him as we are having a bit of fun.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Wow ! ,isn't Edamfast going great gun's.

Post by geejay on Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi Ray,your Edamfast is sure going great,what a convincing win that was following on from that great 2nd his previous start.Certainly hard to understand why he was the outsider in the field after that form but I was delighted,at last I got a couple of dollars on him.Should have had more by rights but TAB been treating me badly for too long so overly cautious now.Anchoring a pick 6 with him was good idea,could have done with some of my rougher choices in my 10% percentage bet beating a favorite in the other legs but still just happy to get a return.Gotta love how you can drive him of the gate like Jay did without taking much out of him,must be a dream to drive giving the driver opportunity to find the right posse and that rails posse sure seems his favorite.That was a useful field he beat and I am not sure anything would have beaten him even if they had had better runs.Your patience with him early certainly seems to be paying dividends and as you were told the family gets better with time so things looking bright,sure must be fun times,look forward to seeing him develop further and hopefully helping me reap more dollars back from that betting agency.And congrats to that trainer of yours,she definitely underrated , can't fault her job getting him to the races in such great condition. cheers

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi Geejay, it is nice to hear from you again. I got home from work yesterday afternoon at 4.30pm and just felt that regardless of how knackered I felt that I should make the effort and travel down to Cambridge so I got back in the car and headed south to watch the boy go round. I am so glad that I did – I must have known....
I understand that the trainer Doug Gale previously owned Edamfast’s dam (Luck be a Lady) and he rang my trainer when Edamfast qualified and just said not rush him as the family just needs a bit of time. He has now just turned 4 and is getting better with age.
As to the higher odds that he pays on the tote it is all due to the fact that my trainer Adrienne Matthews is seen as a second-string trainer by the bookies and they have little faith in her horses. Haha, that attitude suits me just fine as his odds are always much higher than they should be – I will take it. I didn’t do too bad as to a profit on him from the TAB yesterday – I didn’t bet the house on him but even with a modest investment still cleared a profit of over $500. Thanks TAB....
He has had some shocking draws lately and the result are shown in his disappointing form line but when he gets a good draw watch out because he will always hit the finish line with purpose – even better when he can get a run in the trail and can use the passing lane. We were confident in his ability to handle the 2700 metre journey and he was hardly blowing after the race when he got back to the stable. He is fit.

As to the younger filly Heaven Lee she just turned 3 years old for racing purposes as of 1st August. She qualified on 26th May and went straight out for a spell after as she had weakened off at that point. I was only advised yesterday that Honey (her stable name) returned back from the spelling paddock only this week and was a bit rotund – aren’t we all..... She was starting to be jogged up which normally takes about 6 weeks before any serious hoppled work starts. She was good enough to qualify but will she be good enough to be a competitive race horse – we will see how good she is when she gets to the workouts and races.

Just on a couple of other horses;
Some Change – the previous syndicate horse that reverted to being owned by Rob Carr changed trainer from Geoff Small to Steve Telfer after Geoff effectively retired from training. The change of trainer obviously worked a treat and the horses form improved dramatically winning 3 races. I see on the HRNZ website that he has subsequently been exported to Australia so I assume that he has been sold. He has had a couple of unsuccessful race starts in Victoria.

Park Avenue – the sole remaining 2017 syndicate horse has gone amiss with a tendon issue that will result in an extended spell restricted to a box. I understand that a meeting will be held to vote on his future – persevere or retire. He is my sole remaining ATC syndicate horse as I did not go into the latest 2019 syndicate which I hear is still not fully sold. That would have to be a concern as the horses were purchased 6 months ago and puts in doubt whether any further syndicates will be attempted.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:08 am

Congrats Ray on a nice win ,well driven and he really loves that fence and as you
have mentioned a good paced race.
Yet again another nice divy which was a bit surprising after his great 2nd start before,he was really coming strong at the end of that race and shame post came that fraction too soon.
Me with my usual search for the really big win going for pick 6's and such and overlooking the win-place meant yet again I miss out on a collect from your Edamfast but hopefully that wasn't the case for you.If I had watched the video of his last race earlier it would surely have pushed me to have a closer look at him this race but once again am taught a lesson for my hasty and rash betting habits.
How is your 2 yr old Grinfromeartoear filly going,had a race yet or out spelling.
I haven't got back into the ownership game,more a case of the TAB needing to help me now towards making that happen,had a soft spot for a Trotsynd horse in Auss awhile back ,Cosmic Horizon's,but never took the plunge,luckily I guess as it hasn't shown allot in its few starts so far,fingers crossed it won't come good and make me regret that decision.
Anyway may Edamfast keep up the good work and the big divy's,never know I might just find my sense and back him next time he win's ! Fingers Crossed

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun May 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Hi geejay, to say that he won as well as he did was a shock to me as well as it was to the TAB. He was 13/12 in the betting and I was realistically hoping for a top 6 placing in Auckland company. We expected a fast run race time and we were a bit worried because he can be a bit of a lazy bugger but Jay drove him perfectly and managed to keep him close enough to the horse in front that stopped a competitor from pushing him three back on the fence. I did not have too much bet on him as I wasn't overly hopeful of a top 3 finish so only had a few dollars on him - but it was at the fixed odds of $101 so still a nice tidy return.
It has been a long time since I have seen a $90 win dividend on the tote at Alexandra Park.
I was talking to the trainer yesterday at the Pukekohe workouts and her current plans are possibly Auckland again in 2 weeks time to keep him fit but the main aim is to race him June July at Auckland after the Jewels have been run and the better horses are spelling. He can run the time to be able to run at Auckland we just need to hope for another race like Friday night where the speed was on the entire race. They only ran home the last 400m in 29 seconds so it was a true run race from start to finish and was not a sit and sprint finish. He is a big horse and cannot sprint but if you can get him wound up he covers a hell of a lot of ground.

As to the other two horses we are now down to just the one other. The second Bettorthancheddar horse Ches (The Chesdale Kid) just wanted to be a horse not a race horse. He has been retired and has made a lovely riding horse but was just not fast enough to race. He had one appearance at Alexandra Park but was a long lonely embarassing last.
The other horse is a 2 yr old Grinfromeartoear filly and she had her second workout at Pukekohe yesterday and did everything right. She goes into a qualifying trial next Saturday at Puke and looks quite promising with some ability so we will wait to see what she does at the races. We are similarly hoping to race her at Auckland after the Jewels have run and it would be nice to find a fillies and mares race for her.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Sun May 13, 2018 1:21 pm

E dam fast for his first run back after 4 months !.Looking forward to him getting even faster after that run.
Congrats on a great win .I completely missed he was starting, dammit,would have had a little punt if I had known but that may have jinxed things , the TAB being in the habit for so long now of treating all my bets as donations.Hope you had heaps on him though,quite unbelievable odds I thought.Was a nice enough stake for winning too so you will be pretty happy no doubt.
Thought he looked really good,the break must have done him allot of good ,trainer had him in great nick for his return and Jay Abernethy the perfect drive.May have had the best run but still can't take anything away from that win.
Was nice to see the first 3 were all by the newer sires,Betterthancheddar, Auckland Reactor and Sir Lincoln,all seem to be producing some very promising youngsters.
Any news of your other 2,I don't wanna miss them starting too ! Cheers Cheers Cheers

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:28 am

Yes I was thrilled with the result from a horror draw of 13. He is still quite green in his races and doesn't always handle the corners well but once balanced up he has a good high speed sprint. He is a big horse and covers some ground when you get him wound up. He has a stable name of Dodo as he is a beautiful natured big lump of a horse but he is not the brightest fairy on the Christmas tree and does some truly dopey things.
Adrienne our trainer text me after the race saying the same, that they were very happy with the run and that they were looking to run him again at Cambridge on Friday 29th. She just suggested that I ask Santa Claus for a nice draw as it would make life a bit easier.
The other horse Ches is a lot smaller and is back in work again at the moment after some time out in the paddock due to a quarter crack in a hoof. He started jogging at the beginning of November so I suspect that he will be at the workouts towards the end of January.
There is a third horse as well a now 2 year old filly by Grinfromeartoear who is currently spelling between preps. She has not as yet made it to the workouts but has shown some ability on the trainers track with some reasonable sectional times run. We can just live in hope as we pay the monthly bills...... Fingers Crossed
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:13 am

Wow Ray,you must be thrilled with that run by Edamfast last night,a little luck and you might have taken a bit back from the tab again,was certainly at healthy odds but that draw was enough to frighten one away from a flutter.A bit late up to the barrier at the start and did he handle that bend out of the straight not so well,seemed to lose a little momentum each time.Wasn't at all expecting him to do much from so far back but got quite excited seeing him jumping all over them fighting for room to get a run in the straight and was a great effort to get so close,a little luck would have helped but that will keep for later and hopefully bigger races.
When are we likely to see your other Betterthancheddar, The Chesdale Kid ,look forward to seeing him. Cheers

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 am

Edamfast has had three career race starts to date for an 8th and a 3rd (both runs were encouraging) and then a win at Manawatu yesterday. He drew 8 which is the inside of the back row but the winning of the race was when he was able to punch threw from the start and land in third spot. It was nice to be able to make a significant withdrawal from the TAB as he paid $8.80 for a win and $2.10 for a place.
He will back up again tomorrow (Thursday) so fingers crossed that the first days run has not flattened him Fingers Crossed
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Edamfast to make his debut at Alexandra Park this Friday evening in Race 10 at 9.55pm. Drawn number 7 but that might not be as bad as it sounds as he is a big lump of a horse and it takes a bit to get his rubber band wound up. I don't expect him to be overly fast off the mobile and he is best left for one run at them at the finish.
He has not raced at Alexandra Park but a couple of weekends ago he did spend half of the Sunday at the track and was used as part of the amateurs driving course, so he has had a good look at the Park.
Don't disgrace us "Dale"....... Fingers Crossed
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:44 am

Good luck with your Betterthancheddar colts Ray,looking forward to seeing them debut.

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:09 pm

The two Betterthancheddar colts have now qualified. “The Chesdale Kid” (stable name Ches) qualified at Pukekohe on 5th September in a time that was 3.5 seconds under the required time. He came in off the track with a small amount of blood on a hoof and a 2cm crack in a hoof so he has been put out in the paddock for a month while this grows out. He is doing really well and there is no sign of this affecting or bothering him with no limp or lameness. Just a minor setback to the commencement of his racing. He is no world beater and is only a little guy but he is a trier.
Then there is the other Betterthancheddar colt “Edamfast” (stable name of Dale or Dodo as he is a bit of a big goof) who ran in his qualifier on Tuesday and stomped down the finishing straight to win a five horse race and finish 4.2 seconds under the required time. He had a snotty nose but still did a brilliant job and is being dosed up with vitamin C and Echinacea to help get over this. His racing commencement has thus been put back a week but will make his debut very soon. I am looking forward to this as he does appear to have some ability - a bit of a lazy goof and is as green as grass but when he is wound up he covers some ground with his big strides.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:12 pm

A media release tells me that Mr.Beancounter has reached a milestone today which may entitle him to further diversify his portfolio of horses, should any spare beans come his way.

But then he has already anticipated that action as we see above.

Happy birthday anyway young fellow!

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:13 pm

No wifey doesn’t read the blog, she is not very computer literate and hasn’t yet progressed past the point of turning on a computer and playing a game thereon. Linda, my wife, certainly knows about all of the horses we are involved with and particularly likes to keep up with the progress of the young ones.
I may not have told her about each respective purchase at the time of purchasing them, but she is usually made aware of them within a short period of time. Rolling Eyes

I went along to the sale with the main intention of checking out Lot 88 a full brother to Ideal Diamante that I previously had an ownership share in. I asked a trainer that I am associated with to have a look at him but she was not keen on his conformation as he had pasterns that were slightly longer than normal, which she advised could be a weak point. We therefore overlooked him but I see that he was sold to a South Island buyer for $9,000.

Another that I was keen to look at was Lot 80 a Betterthancheddar colt out of Chevyover. I took an ownership share in a full brother that we purchased at the 2015 weanling sale and he, as a yearling now, is coming along very nicely so much so that he may even run early. The weanling full brother that was for sale this year however looked nothing like our boy, so we again bypassed purchasing him.

As for horses that we own personally, or more realistically have a share of ownership in personally, there are 3 of them. (1) Honey the new weanling, (2) the Betterthancheddar – Chevyover colt mentioned above named “The Chesdale Kid” (stable name Ches), and (3) a second yearling colt (also purchased as a weanling at the 2015 weanling sale) and he is also by Betterthancheddar, out of Luck be a Lady. That one is called “Edamfast” with a stable name of Dale.
Dale is two months older than Ches and is quite a bit larger, so much so that we will have to be a bit more patient with him while he grows into his bigger frame and he may not see a racetrack until he is a 3 year old.

My trainer purchased Honey (and yes that stable name is after her dam) and after she went through the ring I went along to see her in the stables - and liked what I saw, so much so that I then offered to take a share.

I did take particular notice when Lot 168 came up for sale in the ring (the American Ideal – Bettorkeepthefaith filly) and I watched to see if Barry Purdon showed any interest, but he did not make a bid so it was not on his radar.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:48 pm

Looks like a nice strong type ray the beancounter. Did you attend the sales with the intention of buying something. Is she stablenamed Honey after her dam? Quite a coincidence with ATC 2017 filly Bet I Can also given Honey as a stable name. I see that at the same sale a lot by American Ideal out of a full sister to The Faithful (Bettorkeepthefaith) was sold for $9000 ... an interesting purchase. How many horses, other than ATC syndicate horses do you have an interest in ray the beancounter or does your wife not know and she may read this blogsite?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:13 am

Nice colour and head, Ray.  Not hard to see how she caught your eye ( and wallet).

Good luck.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:52 pm

Haha, I am a sucker for punishment. I went to the weanling sales at Karaka on Friday and bought a share in another filly. I will call it an impulsive birthday present to justify it.
Lot 102 a Grinfromeartoear filly out of a Mach Three mare. Yes it is a gamble as she is a first foal but the 2nd and 3rd dam have been good producers of successful progeny. As a weanling it will be a couple of years before she races but that will extend my involvement in harness racing for a good long while yet.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:59 pm

Good luck! So when, and if, they get beaten we can only say "Stiff Cheese, Ray!".

barryf

Back to top Go down

Diversifying my portfolio (of horses)

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:23 pm

I like the look of the new-to-NZ sire in Betterthancheddar who is a well performed son of Bettors Delight. His first crop of foals are weanlings.

To put my money where my mouth is I have taken a small share in two Betterthancheddar weanling colts. Obviously it will be at least a couple of years before they race but I like that idea of taking an educated gamble in a new sire on the local scene.

We had a lot of fun creating “cheesy” names and we now wait for HRNZ to register a name to see what we end up with after having lodged three alternatives for each horse. All I know at the moment are their stable names of Ches and Dale after the well known NZ cheese ads on television from yesteryear.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down