Ideal Belle's re-appearance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ideal Belle's re-appearance

Post by Des Carruthers on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks Conwell. Does anybody else have an update on the nature of Ideal Belle's laceration to the leg as mentioned in the Stewards Report after the race last Friday and is she still on track for the major mares races in December?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:14 pm

I was down at the stables after the race and I did notice Zac looking at the back of Belle's front legs but there was no mention of an injury while I was there.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:48 pm

A quiet run on the fence and strong finish should top Ideal Belle off nicely for her upcoming mares races. The Stewards Report mentioned a laceration to the leg of Ideal Belle requiring some attention from the vet. Is everything okay?
I thought that The Faithful put up a creditable performance to face the breeze and still be thereabouts at the finish. He will be competitive if he ever gets to run in a C3 event.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:06 am

All of the above for me Des.   David Butcher is my preferred driver on any horse at any time. Just a personal opinion based on past experience  with other horses I have been lucky enough to be associated with.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:44 pm

Ideal Belle ran the fastest overall time by .7 sec. The second horse (leader at 800m) ran his final 800 in 56.6sec. Ideal Belle was 8 lengths behind it at the 800 (last) and finished alongside it so with .1=half length, Ideal Belle ran her final 800 in about 55 seconds despite being 3 and 4 wide and first up over 2700m. I was happy with the run and look forward to her being 'primed' and meeting the other top mares on equal marks. I am also happy with the driver change and hopefully he can join Tony Herlihy, Barry Purdon and Zac Butcher as winning drivers of Ideal Belle.

The official sectional times have just come through with Ideal Belle running her last 800m in 55seconds which was .6 seconds faster than any other horse on the entire programme (3 lengths).

Last edited by Des Carruthers on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:02 pm

The word from Zac tonight is that David Butcher will likely be doing the driving of Belle in the mares races this season with Zac being required to drive Democrat Party and Lancewood Lizzie if they were in the same races - Zac having to drive under instruction for key stable clients. Zac did suggest it wasn't his preference.
Tonight after Belle's race David did say that Belle went well (usual D. Butcher response) but that she did not have the expected zip when he pulled her out and that she was a bit flat. He went on to say to she needs a couple more race starts to get her primed and race fit.
All in all a pass mark but she wasn't able to show her class against a moderate field.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:28 am

Belle is in the nominations to resume at Alexandra Park this Friday. Very Happy
There are only 7 horses nominated for the C3+ F&M race at the moment but nominations have been left open until 9am this morning.

Unfortunately there are only 3 nominations in the C2-C3 race that The Faithful is nominated for so he may end up having to race in a higher grade again.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Des Carruthers wrote:Whilst I am sure that we are all very excited to see Ideal Belle back at the races, I note that recent articles have indicated that Venus Serena and Ideal Flybye are soon to be retired to stud. Ideal Belle is a racehorse with a major part of her career still to come but at the end of her career she would be a very valuable broodmare as an Oaks winner and a national mares record holder. What options do the ATC 2012 Syndicate have to remain involved when her racing is over. Could a new syndicate of the same owners use her as a broodmare, selling her valuable yearling colts and fillies or even better to race her offspring?

The syndicates have raced very few fillies/mares , the one which was on sold and left progeny which raced was Helena Kilena.
I was not a member of that syndicate.  Any group could make an offer to purchase at any time or the horse could be placed on the market if the current syndicate votes for termination.
I would think that most present members are in it for the racing rather than breeding

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:30 pm

There was nice weather at Pukekohe for today's workout. The overall time for the run was nothing flash with Belle getting away well from the standing start and taking the lead throughout. Became a moderate workout procession for the first half of the workout with some speed being injected over the last 800m. Besotted ranged up beside Belle at about the 500m mark and they far flew the last 400m in 26.9 seconds (which is very fast for Pukekohe) with Belle holding on to win by a nose.
She had a bit of a blow afterwards but not much. I understand there may be one further workout for her before she goes to the races.
There is no doubt that she has come back stronger this preparation.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:51 am

A seemingly ordinary two horse trial at Franklin this morning contains two horses that seven months ago were the fastest male and female horses over 1700m in the history of New Zealand Harness racing.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:44 pm

Belle’s future as a broodmare is something that many of us have pondered. Her racing career is limited.

She is currently a C5 grade pacer and the higher she rises through the grades the tougher it gets racing against the open class boys – Venus Serena is proof enough of that. Open class has proved too much for her and she is off to the broodmare paddock early next year in foal to Art Major.

It is my understanding that the ATC syndicate rules make no provision for the breeding from a syndicate owned mare. It would require a change to the syndicate rules, or a market-value sale to a syndicate of interested members.
Getting people to show interest is one thing, getting them to part with cash to purchase Belle as a broodmare is an entirely different prospect. Then of course there is the question of ongoing costs of grazing and vet fees and the most important decision of all – which sire is to be used. All of these things cost money that would need ongoing funding from the group of owners with no guarantee of a live foal or of making any significant profit from racing or selling the progeny.

I am a bit of a natural risk taker and would personally be interested as part of a group, but in my opinion many are likely to be too conservative to take on the challenge.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Whilst I am sure that we are all very excited to see Ideal Belle back at the races, I note that recent articles have indicated that Venus Serena and Ideal Flybye are soon to be retired to stud. Ideal Belle is a racehorse with a major part of her career still to come but at the end of her career she would be a very valuable broodmare as an Oaks winner and a national mares record holder. What options do the ATC 2012 Syndicate have to remain involved when her racing is over. Could a new syndicate of the same owners use her as a broodmare, selling her valuable yearling colts and fillies or even better to race her offspring?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:24 pm

For anyone that's interested, there is video footage of Belle and Change's workout on Saturday on the HRNZ website.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:03 am

Change led from barrier 1 and was just beaten into 2nd by Democrat Party. He was only there for a quiet run so I expect the stable would have ben happy enough with his performance.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:56 am

How did Major Change go in Ideal Belle's trial? The All Blacks were really stretched by South Africa. Suggestions to improve the game to consider ... When the referee is playing advantage and the team hicks the ball then advantage is over ... When a scrum is being set in the final 20 minutes, the referee blows time off because in the last 4 minutes with the scores so close, all we saw was scrum setting and resetting.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:54 pm

Comments from the stable after Belle's workout were that she did it easy and that she would need 1 more workout and then be ready to go to the races.
Wow, she looked good today. Yahoo

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:54 pm

We had the opportunity to have a close up look at Belle around 8.45am this morning at Barry Purdon’s stables - as we were attending the stables to have our first viewing of 2016 syndicate horse Miss Kitty. Belle was standing waiting to be loaded onto the truck to be taken to the Pukekohe workouts. Belle looks magnificent – with a muscular frame, shiny coat and bright eyes.

The workout was not run in the most pleasant of conditions as there was a wet track and light rain. Just a 4 horse field but run at a pretty good pace for the conditions with Belle sitting at the back for much of the run. With about 500m to run they bunched up with Belle able to get up in the trail behind the leader. She didn’t need much encouragement to then use the passing lane to gain a narrow victory over the other horses. Closing sectionals of approximately 58 seconds for the last 800m and 28 seconds for the final 400m – good times for the trying conditions.

I think we are about to have some exciting times with Belle…..
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:20 am

She is back... Smile
Belle is in the last workout (Race 10) timed to go at 12.15pm tomorrow (Sat 24th) at Pukekohe.
A small field of only 4 horses but this small field also includes another ATC syndicate horse in Major Change.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:07 pm

I'm guessing you're right Ray as there are no Barry Purdon horses at the workouts this weekend.......plus Sunday morning is All Blacks v France!! Cool

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Ideal Belle's re-appearance

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:08 am

It looks as though we will have to wait another week before we see the big girl at the workouts.
The workout fields for this weekend have been published online and Belle's name is nowhere to be seen. This could possibly be related to the late change in the day on which they are to be held - and this change may also be a reason for the overall low number of runners going around this weekend with only currently 33 starters listed for Sunday at Pukekohe.
The workouts were initially scheduled for Saturday however I assume that these were hastily rescheduled to Sunday following the passing of ATC president Kerry Hoggard, as they are to hold his funeral at Alexandra Park on Saturday morning.
I understand that some of the more prominent trainers have refused or been reluctant to participate in Sunday workouts as it is their (and fair enough too) day off.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top