ATC Syndicate 2017

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ATC Syndicate 2017

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:51 pm

Park Avenue: He is in a 2050m workout tomorrow at Pukekohe and on paper it looks like a field of 6 quality horses so will be a good test for Frank.

Cha Cha B: He is in a 2050m trial tomorrow, the weather looks good and we look forward to a clean performance and a good qualifying time.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Honey actually had a gear malfunction in Saturdays workout that hindered her from being able to stride out properly.

Steven was happy with the run, hence she is in at Cambridge on Thursday night.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:30 pm

The video of today's trial/workout is online a little earlier than normal and is available Saturday evening. Bet I Can finished 4th of 5 and looked OK - but nothing to get too excited about. Was anybody present on course to enlighten us on the driver/trainers impression and her immediate future plans?
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

newsletters

Post by nealclan on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Andrew has put the newletters through today will be on net when uploaded by ATC and emails will be sent when available.in future newsletters will be available last week month i uf you want to know anything ring the answer phone system.

nealclan

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:17 pm

I thought it a bad drive by Zac.  Let David B out when he could have held the 1/1, then paid the price.  Zac v David is a bad look. Drivers often get too impatient when on a favourite.

I was quite happy with Some Change's run for a first up.  Would expect a bit more in the next 2 starts.

Bettors Pocket raced very keenly. I see that Tony rated him his best drive of the night so hopefully will relax a bit more next start.

Congratulations Ray on No. 1000- next stop 1500!

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:17 am

I think like most people I was comfortable with Kitty’s 5th placing after the work that she did during the running, things just didn’t go her way.

As for Some Change well I did not see anything to get too excited about running 2:48.2 for a 2200 metre race and not able to finish off the race with ay conviction .  Do we have another Major Change in the making?  Put it this way, I would not be making the effort to see him run at any venue outside of Alexandra Park until he starts to fulfil his breeding potential.

Bettors Pocket – the head scratching continues…….yes he was taken out but did he look comfortable enough to finish in the first 4 had he avoided interference??

Bet I Can (Honey) – looked good in the video of her qualifier and I look forward to seeing her race.

We may learn more when the monthly newsletters appear - waiting, waiting, waiting.....

Oh, yes………POST NUMBER 1,000
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Des Carruthers wrote:Bet I Can trying to qualify today ... does the stable have any interesting plans for her as she has looked pretty good so far.
Racing on Friday 25th March.
Some Change ... well positioned but dropped off on the home turn then held on well towards the end. A reasonable start but improvement is needed particularly the development of a sprint.
Miss Kitty ... Nothing worked out for the driver so in the circumstances an impressive effort from Miss Kitty. She has gate speed, strength to be running on again after a three wide sprint at the bell and tactical speed. What was said after the race?
Bettors Pocket ... good trial but was weakening after a death seat run when he broke due to interference ... jury is still out.

Zac drove Bet I Can at the workouts last week and said she needed some gear changes and a few more runs to learn the game as she did quite a few things wrong. (like taking charge at the start of the race when trying to be restrained) Steven Reid wasn't around that morning so I don't know what plans are being laid out for her other than getting her qualified.

I wasn't at the qualifying trials today, but have just watched the replay on the HRNZ website of Honey finishing a close up 3rd placing and assume that the first three would have run under the qualifying time. (based on the race beginning about 4 seconds into the video and her crossing the finishing line at around 2:44 in the video)

I also wasn't at the races in Cambridge on Thursday night so I can't give you any feedback on what the drivers or trainers has to say after their races.

I thought Some Change was OK for a first up run. The question mark after last weeks workout was his ability to sprint the last 400m so the slow sectionals and overall time of this race certainly wouldn't have suited him. It looked to me like he didn't handle the last bend very well either, as he put in a few rough strides and lost a bit of ground before battling on quite well in the straight.

Bettors Pocket was really disappointing again. Even before he broke he looked like to he was struggling and not going to be in it. The stewards reports says that he "locked wheels near the 250 metres and then broke losing all chance" but it certainly looked to me like the horse inside him pushed out causing this to happen. Why is their no mention of this in the stewards report? Jockeys get fined and suspended all the time for interference in the thoroughbred industry, but it seems like drivers are very rarely even questioned regarding their drives unless they're the favourite and their horse under performs.

I also thought Miss Kitty was really good under the circumstances. She had every right to give ground in the straight after having to race three wide for the last lap, but she never gave in and stuck on well. In hindsight I'm sure that Zac was a little disappointed with his decision to follow the 3 wide train when he did, but I'd much rather see a positive drive like that than sitting back and running home strongly when it's all over without ever actually being a real chance of winning. It just wasn't her night...

Last edited by Conwell on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:44 am

Bet I Can trying to qualify today ... does the stable have any interesting plans for her as she has looked pretty good so far.
Racing on Friday 25th March.
Some Change ... well positioned but dropped off on the home turn then held on well towards the end. A reasonable start but improvement is needed particularly the development of a sprint.
Miss Kitty ... Nothing worked out for the driver so in the circumstances an impressive effort from Miss Kitty. She has gate speed, strength to be running on again after a three wide sprint at the bell and tactical speed. What was said after the race?
Bettors Pocket ... good trial but was weakening after a death seat run when he broke due to interference ... jury is still out.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Regarding Major Star yes the Gath's have given up on him and he has been transferred to a lesser known trainer in NSW (the name escapes me at the moment but I will edit and add it at a later stage). This was discover by one of our syndicate members who also noted Star's name missing from the Gath Stable listing and so that person emailed Harness Racing Victoria and was pleasantly surprised when they got a reply.

As regards Honey (Bet I Can) it was the trainers intention that she be pulled back at the start to give her some experience in running within the pack but you can see at the start that Zac was leaning right back in the cart to try and slow her down but she wasn't having a bar of it and just wanted to run. Zac then did the next best option which was to let another horse pass him to at least get her to follow another horse and to give her practice at an attack finish - didn't quite get there at the finish line but a very respectable run nonetheless and an exciting racing prospect.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:01 pm

geejay ... have you noticed that Major Star is no longer listed on Andy Gath's website? A very pleasing debut by Miss Kitty and a lovely drive by Zac Butcher certainly helped. She fought on well after doing some work at the start with the horse behind her having every chance to run her down. There is a $20,000 3yo fillies race at Cambridge next Thursday. In her workout Bet I Can handed up the lead after surging to the lead at the start and looked good at the end until the last little bit where she slowed a bit. She looks very promising. Some Change also looks much better this time in and the trial winner has run a second at Alexandra Park and another couple of placings so we may have another competitive horse if he continues to improve. Bettors Pocket looked back to his old self in his last workout and could have easily won if his driver wished. Could be a busy month coming up with all current syndicates involved. I am somewhat puzzled that with all this happening, the only Auckland Trotting Club Syndicate discussion forum activity is from Perth and Iceland. Blog number 1000 is fast approaching and it would be nice to reserve this for the administrator who set it all up.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:15 am

Two nice workouts alright.Bet I Can certainly got into her work very well at the end,hopefully going to develop into a very nice horse.Betters Pocket looked good without being pushed,should be ready for his return to racing,good luck.

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 am

I agree that the Bet I Can workout caught my eye as being impressive.  Yes it was a moderately slow overall time but the ease with which she handled the last 800m and was gapping them at the finish did raise the eyebrows.

Bettors Pocket just cruised to the line with Tony H more focused on watching the performance of the stablemate – a good workout and you could not have asked for more.

Some Change – why was he scratched? – don’t know, but little surprises me from his trainers stable these days where inconsistency is the norm.
There didn't look to be too many spectators on course from the television coverage, but it was a workday so not unexpected.
Andrew’s first attempt at the monthly newsletters will hopefully tell us more on all of the above.

A subsequent update provided to me:
Bet I Can - trainer pleased with workout and she will be placed in a further workout this Saturday (undecided if a "Learners" or an "Unqualified") with a view to giving her education on running in a field. Probable trial shortly thereafter.
Bettors Pocket - to look at racing either Thu 23rd March at Cambridge or Fri 24th March at Auckland. The nominations for each venue will dictate where he is to race.
Some Change - Surfie was worked privately on Saturday and the trainer didn't wish to push him again so soon at the re-scheduled Tuesday workout. He will likely make another appearance at the workouts this coming Saturday.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:22 am

A very nice first public workout from Bet I Can. Why was Some Change withdrawn from the workouts? Bettors Pocket did it easily and not extended in his workout. Hopefully he is back to his normal self.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Ah, so it was. Smile

I made the call on Friday night when it was bucketing down that I wasn't going to be going to the Meet The Horses morning and have only just listened to the phone messages from Friday night/Saturday morning.

Andrew made mention of it possibly being postponed until next weekend but I guess we'll wait and see when it's confirmed.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:55 am

I have just been advised by my trusted sidekick Dene that both the "Meet the Horses" event and the Pukekohe workouts and trials were cancelled yesterday due to the inclement weather. The workouts/trials will now take place on Tuesday and we will have to await an update as to when the Meet the Horses will now take place. Thanks Dene.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:50 am

No, I set my alarm early and was up at 6.30am ready to go but it was pouring down outside, as it had been doing for much of the past 2 days. I decided against it in the end. I'm keen - but not that keen......
I would be surprised if the turnout was too high.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:57 am

Did anyone go the 'Meet The Horses' morning yesterday?

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:09 pm

We are paying the money. We are the owners. What is going on? We need clear accurate information. Full stop...

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:36 pm

Yes, I was equally confused by the contradictions that Steven Reid was quoted to have said.

“Honey came back in today. She looks really, really good. She’s got a massive gut on her, but she doesn’t look that good around the neck and shoulder when I look her, she’s physically immature and doesn’t look that strong."

So she looks really really good, but she doesn't look that good around the neck and shoulder and doesn't look that strong?

Unfortunately I get the feeling that Honey is going to go the way of her older sister Kitty and is going to need more time to mature before she actually makes it to the races.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:51 am

I know that I was equally as confused when I skimmed the newsletter and intended looking for the "real story" when I re-read the newsletters over the holidays. I get the feeling that something was "lost in translation" between the time of the quote and the fingers tapping the keyboard.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:34 am

I am a bit confused after reading the latest newsletter regarding the current condition of Bet I Can. Trainer Steven Reid declared that "She looks really, really good" and "Condition wise you can't fault her." He expanded on those remarks to say that she had a massive gut, big backside, doesn't look that good around the neck and shoulder, physically immature, doesn't look that strong....... I would hate to think what a horse that he thought looked really, really bad would look like.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:30 pm

Haha, I cannot say too much.
My latest acquisition as shown on the following thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] has the stable name of "Honey", which actually helped a lot when I told wifey we had yet another horse - she liked the stable name.
Racing name as yet undecided.

Posie is the one I cannot get my head around - being Bettor's Pocket.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:31 pm

What is the general feel amongst members now that the ATC 2017 is off and rolling? I am in, but now have 6 horses that I have not seen even on video and probably will not see for a while yet. In fact I still have not seen any of my horses including Major Star and Ideal Belle. The closest that I got was to be in Melbourne the week before Major Star raced at Melton and another year when I booked and attended the Breeders Crown, also at Melton, for which Ideal Belle was a late withdrawal after winning the Oaks and running that great race against Venus Serena in the Jewels. Furthermore, I am yet to meet any fellow syndicate members (except my son who now lives in Manila) including Rob Carr with whom I have been exchanging emails for more than 5 years. As a result of my geographical isolation, I really appreciate the communication on this blog particularly from the regulars with their updates, observations and opinions on all syndicate matters. To the many members who read but do not contribute to this site, it would be great to hear from you (even under an alias) as this site certainly has enriched my ATC Syndicate experience both as a contributor and as a reader. For what it is worth I hate most of the stable names that our horses are known by. Star, Belle and Jack are OK but there have been some that sound like they belong to family farm pets rather than fighting, racing machines. Go Sid, Get up Gwen/Betty, Come on Honey.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed May 25, 2016 7:29 pm

The close relatives of two of our new yearlings are performing incredibly well.

The Jewel's 4 year old contender My Kiwi Mate is a full brother to 2017 syndicate horse Cha Cha B and with stakes earnings in excess of $178,000 is a brother worth having. Hopefully Cha Cha has the same speed gene.

Also the 2017 syndicate yearling selected by the Dickie's in Park Avenue has a well performing half sister in Eclipse Me who has a race record of 19 starts for 3 wins and 8 placings for over $49,000 in stakes.
Eclipse Me is by Real Desire whom I have never been a great fan of whereas Park Avenue is by Mach Three - so dare I dream of even better ability and speed????
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:26 pm

Barry Purdon has been heard to say he likes to consider a horse's  family and  the horse's head.

He often buys from families he has had success in the past with.  As to the head, I guess he looks at the eye in particular to assess the animal's intelligence and will power. But maybe there other factors as well which haven't been disclosed.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top