Ideal Belle December Racing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ideal Belle December Racing

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:40 pm

I agree that top mares have good value as broodmares and the owners can negotiate to have involvement in her future and that of the offspring. The current owners of Ideal Belle will not have that interest as she would be sold. I would love to own / race her offspring as a part of the current ATC 2012 syndicate but, as previously discussed in this forum, that is not a practical alternative. The 1/50th share of her selling price (I have no idea what that may be ... any suggestions?) would disappear after a few trips to the supermarket and it would be a sad end to involvement with such a talented horse.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:08 am

Des, I do not particularly like the prospect of Belle finishing her racing career prematurely either when we have lost the best part of 2 racing seasons due to injuries. But the reality is - how many 6, 7, 8 year old mares race at the top level in NZ. I believe the answer is very few, and those that may make it have to race against the boys due to lack of female numbers. This is never a long term proposition, unless you have the x-factor to regularly beat the boys.
This lack of suitable racing opportunity is no doubt behind the decision to put Venus Serena in foal to Art Major and I see that Willow has been sold to Woodlands Stud and will become one of their broodmares when she finishes her current racing campaign.
Cala won the 3 yr old Breeders in Aug 2014 and then raced through to the Jewels at the end of May 2015 before being retired to stud as a broodmare.
Mares have a very limited racing career.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:23 pm

Why would Ideal Belle be heading to the broodmare paddock? She has had only 28 starts for her owners, is still a New Zealand record holder, at her best is capable of beating the best female horses in N.Z. and Australia and ATC 2012 would not be involved with her as a broodmare. Older mares ( and she will only be 6 and not raced as a 2yo ) are quite capable of great performances at the top level. I was at Melton when Cala won the Breeders Crown after running well down the track in Ideal Belle's Oaks and I felt cheated by circumstances. I am prepared to be patient for a few more years yet as she may be the most talented racehorse that I/We have been associated with. (Changeover wasn't too bad for his fortunate owners).

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:10 pm

Yes, very disappointing to read that Belle's knee isn't healing well enough and that she's gone out to the paddock for another 3 months.

Unfortunately we've now lost the best part of the last 2 seasons due to her leg injuries. Crying or Very sad

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:04 pm

Ideal Belle now out for a spell for 3 months to aid in the healing of her knee cut.
3 months out plus then a further 3 months to bring her back to racing fitness (usually 6 weeks jogging and 6 weeks hoppled work) so we won't see her on the track until say July and thus racing as a 6 year old. Will that then be her swansong before the broodmare paddock??
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:18 am

Thank goodness for the place dividend on Zadaka ... it provided some relief. Ray the beancounter, I guess that we had better not give up our day jobs just yet.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:37 am

Thank you ray the beancounter. I will back your selections and include Venus Serena each way. It should trail Lancewood Lizzie who could lead and was a great run last week. Enjoy your night out.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:30 am

Hi Des, my three bets for tonight - don't worry if I have left it too late, been hectic at work.
Race 1: #7 Robbie Burns. Was the name of a booze outlet. I need one at the moment as I try to follow where and when our syndicate horses will next race. Paying $6.00 for a win on fixed odds currently.
Race 7: #9 Al Bundy. He seems to really like Alexandra Park and is in good form at the moment. Will he win - no not likely - but I like the fixed odds place money on offer of $9.00.
Race 10: #2 Zadaka. Well bred out of a good mare in Copper Beach. Two good races to open his career with a 4th and a win. Paying $3.40 for a win on fixed odds.

Do you have any that you like?
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:15 pm

I too am rather confused as to what's going on at the moment.

Major Star - was at the workouts last weekend for a quiet run with the hopples on, even though he's not going to be racing with hopples on when he finally goes back to the races.
I was looking at his stats on the HRNZ website. In his career he's had 37 race day starts, 23 workouts and 1 trial so I shouldn't be surprised that he hasn't ben nominated to race on 22nd Dec and will most likely go back to the workouts again.

The Faithful - after the disappointments of C2-C3 races not getting off the ground at Alex Park over the past 6 weeks, we've turned down the option of racing in a $20k C2-C3 race this week against horses that he's competed competitively against previously. Instead he has been nominated to race in a C2+ Handicap for $7,500 on 22nd Dec which has drawn only 4 nominations.

Major Change - Geoff didn't end up taking any of his team to Wanganui. He also hasn't been nominated for 22nd Dec, so I guess he's heading to Cambridge on 24th Dec instead.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:00 am

Thank you ray the beancounter for your update, it is most appreciated. I hope that you are still able to enjoy your evening at the trots this Friday despite no ATC syndicate horses being present. To put you under pressure, could you make selections in three races and I will back them on the Western Australian TAB (include novelty bets if you like). That way both you and I will still have a vested interest in three races on the programme and have Dec 22nd as a back up. ... Update from the nominations for the 22nd ... no starters.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:00 pm

The information I am getting from current phone in messages as posted over the last couple of days is...

Major Star - they were disappointed with his workout efforts on Saturday at Pukekohe and are contemplating two differing paths. One is to attend a further workout this Saturday and then progress to the Waipa Cup grass track meeting on 29th December. The second alternative path is to nominate and race at Alexandra Park in the lower stakes day meeting on Tue 22nd December and then progress to the Waipa Cup grass track meeting on the 29th.
I struggle to get a handle on the trainers opinion of this horse. One minute he has a top opinion of Star and nominates him for the NZ Cup, now he is bypassing the Auckland premier meetings and looking to race him in a $7,500 race in a low stakes day meeting. Confused? - you should be.....

The Faithful - the message advises that the horse is okay but the trainer has had a change of plan and will look to race at the Alexandra Park day meeting on Tue 22nd December. If he performs well then they will consider nominating to race Jack at the twilight premier meeting on Auckland Cup evening on the 31st December.

Major Change - the horse was given a few days off training after his trip away to Hawera. There was no reason given for not progressing to the Wanganui meeting as well. Geoff Small is considering two possible meetings next up for Change, with these either being the Alexandra Park day meeting on 22nd December or a stronger and more likely preference being to nominate for the Christmas Eve meeting on 24th December at Cambridge, where there is a $10,000 2200m race that is suitable for Change.

So there is a possibility that we "may" have three horses racing at Alexandra Park on Tue 22nd December in the day meeting. Nominations for this meeting close at 11.00am on Thu 17th so we will know more after that time.
It is too hard to try and second guess where horses will be placed next, so we will just have to wait until the fields are released. I made the mistake of thinking that there would be up to three syndicate horses racing at Alexandra Park this Friday (premier meeting on the 18th December) so I proceeded to book a table for 6 at the Top of the Park, which cost the best part of a gold bar. Belle was withdrawn for injury reasons so I was still optimistic that we would still have two horses running, Star and Jack. Star was not in the noms and then I am thinking, no problem, we will still have one horse running in The Faithful. To then see him withdrawn as well and to have no syndicate horses running resulted in a few choice expletives, as payment had to be made for the Top of the Park booking a week in advance.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:58 pm

The Interdominion final was won from the death seat with the next four places coming from the four horses along the fence in the last 400m. It is very difficult to come wide at Gloucester Park if the leaders have something in reserve. Thank you Ray and Conwell for your updates on Ideal Belle. She was beautifully driven and was in a position to win so it was very disappointing. Has any more news come through from the stable? I am still in the dark as to why Major Change was withdrawn from the nominations for last Sunday after being knocked over at the start on Thursday. That start was a total disgrace. I also don't know why The Faithful was withdrawn from the nominations for this Friday. I would appreciate updates from anyone who has information to share. Major Star had a very quiet trial at Franklin ... is he heading towards Auckland or the Country Cup races? I am looking forward to the ATC 2016 horses hitting the track as the current horses seem to be in a start - stop or a holding pattern.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:28 am

I am hearing a similar theme from other syndicate members in that they make the effort to attend on race night yet the information and acknowledgement received from the trainer and manager leaves a lot to be desired. "Mushroom Syndrone" is in force.....and is annoying some members greatly.

Syndicate member attendance numbers on course have fallen of recent times (yes it is a busy time of year for everybody) but non-inclusion and lack of acknowledgement of members isn't going to help improve this situation.

For those that haven't been able to access the phone in message it advised that Belle pulled hard during the run and was basically "empty" at the 350m mark (more like 450m really), but more of a concern is the fact that she has opened up the cut on her knee, worse than it was previously. She will now be away from racing whilst this heals, so a start in the Queen of Hearts would have to be extremely unlikely with a spell of up to a month being more realistic (no timeframe has been given on this and a month is simply my best guess).
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:27 am

David had a quick word to the members in the stables after the race and said that she pulled most of the way which cost her. I was down in the stables for about 15 minutes after the race and there was no other information shared other than that.

Last edited by Conwell on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:16 am

I couldn't make it to the track last night for Belle's race.
Can someone please update us with regard to Belle's condition and comments from the trainer and driver after her disappointing finish. She was all done at the 400m mark and dropped back through the field coming down the straight.
Is there a problem or is it a race fitness issue?
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Having just read the HRNZ website news it seems that the lower ranked Auckland Cup nominations can gain automatic Cup qualification by running in the first three in the Franklin Cup (Dec 18th). This conflicts with the Queen of Hearts race that Ideal Belle will contest on that night so I was finding it difficult to see how Ideal Belle can get a start in the Auckland Cup ahead of the many higher ranked entrants. A win in the Queen of Hearts does however gain an automatic entry to a big mares race at Menangle in February.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Ideal Belle December Racing

Post by ray the beancounter on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:28 am

Will be a busy month for Belle with the Group 3 Northern Breeders Stakes on Friday 11th, the Group 1 Queen of Hearts on Friday 18th and she has also been nominated for the Auckland Cup on the 31st.

Auckland Cup nominations: Besotted, Bettor Dream, Beyond The Silence, Franco Nelson, Have Faith In Me, Hughie Green, Ideal Belle, Ideal Success, Lancewood Lizzie, Lets Elope, Lewy Risk, Master Charlie, Mighty Flying Mac, Mossdale Conner, No Doctor Needed, Ohoka Punter, Sky Major, Smolda, Spirit And Desire, Te Kawau, The Orange Agent, Tiger Tara, Wesley Silcox.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top