Australian withdrawals from the Jewels

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Australian withdrawals from the Jewels

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri May 27, 2016 11:03 am

The Jewels as a premier event is obviously starting to lose some of its mojo with Mark Purdon seemingly a little ho-hum about sending his best horses north for the event (which to be honest is a great thing as it gives the other trainers a shot at a decent payday) and all but one of the Aussie invites having now withdrawn. We are left with just one Aussie invitee in My Kiwi Mate which has been in NZ for a couple of months now and has the benefit of being based at and temporarily trained by Barry Purdon. My Kiwi Mate is now a serious threat to win his Jewels race and has aclimatised to NZ conditions and NZ racing style and has already successfully paid for his trip in stakes won while being here.

Des, when we get past the 520 post mark and you come back online can you give us your perspective of why the Australian trainers are shying away from coming over here. Is is a conflict with other major events in Aus, does the timing of the Jewels not fall well in the scheduled break that the horses need, is it the cost, is it the prize money not being sufficiently high enough to cover costs (has the prize money gone up over the past 5 years? - not that I am aware of).
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top