Points Handicapping System

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Points Handicapping System

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:26 pm

The new system is obviously throwing up some challenges. On the HRNZ website under the results section they are no longer showing "reassessments" for the horses that have raced in the North Island since 1st August. I am assuming that you would have to drill down via the winning horses name to find out details of the horses new assessment. Seems a bit messy, whereas previously the reassessments and dropbacks were immediately apparent.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:45 pm

While the handicapping system has had its weaknesses I believe the resson we lose so many mid grade horses to Australia is the failure by the main clubs ( particularly Auckland) to make it attractive to keep them here.  For example the continual carding of principal  races with a value of $14999 is to make winners of such races appealing to Australian owners as they can race in a lower grade to start with before meeting the top horses there.  

If Auckland were to give an undertaking at the beginning of the season that the main race on the card ( excluding age group races) would be for a minimum of $25000 then my guess is that more owners would be incentivised to keep their horses here.

At present maidens and low grade horses are racing for their best stakes ever.  These could be trimmed by a thousand or two if stake funding is a problem before the boost comes from apartment block settlements.  Alternatively some savings could be made from small percentage reductions in the generous group one stakes which are usually dominated by the bigger stables anyway.

I am puzzled as to why our administrators see it desirable to assist Australian clubs at the expense of our own.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:57 am

I've noticed on the HRNZ website that all North Island horses have now been given a handicap rating to go along with their class assessment.

Here are the ratings for our ATC syndicate horses.

Major Change - 74 (C3)
Bettors Pocket - 79 (C4)
The Faithful - 85 (C4)
Ideal Belle  - 91 (C5)

These seem about right to me. My only question would be around whether horses are reassessed when they haven't raced for a long period of time.
ie. Is Ideal Belle's rating the same as it would have been if she'd raced more than 3 times in the last 14 months?

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:23 pm

Until the new system is trialed and we can see exactly how it works I will reserve making my judgement call as to whether the new system is an improvement or not. The only thing that I do know is that the old handicapping system in NZ is "broken" and a fix is needed - so it is good to see that those in charge have had the gonads to finally do something.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Points Handicapping System

Post by Conwell on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:08 pm

Let's hope this improves the current situation, but I fear this may make it potentially worse for the Open class horses in the north.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top