BETTORS POCKET

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: BETTORS POCKET

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:32 am

Just had a look at the replay of last years Winter Cup with Bettors Pocket being relegated from third to fourth on protest. Would have won the race if the driver had dived straight down into the sprint lane and not let the horse behind him get there first. Hopefully he will win this years Winter Cup on Friday with last years winner Hug The Wind again in the field.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:27 pm

A bit of a victim of circumstance tonight the way that he covered extra ground at the rear of the field and chopped and changed between travelling on the markers and being in the one-out position. He fair stomped home down the straight and the commentator mentioned a final quarter of 27.8 sec with Posie making up a stack of ground, so he would have gone quicker than that. It will be interesting to see Posie's sectional times when they are listed, particularly the final 800m and 400m - they should be impressive especially at the end of a 2:40 total overall time.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:10 am

Congrats,great win and beautifully driven by young Cameron.Looked good and strong bowling along in front,nice start and strong to the line,bodes well for the future. cheers

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:19 pm

His first win of the season and well overdue. Posie is clearly a horse who needs plenty of racing and his strong constitution stood to him tonight.
It was Tony Cameron's second win behind the horse, equalling Tony Herlihy and Jay Abernethy. He should continue to be competitive over the coming months at Alexandra Park.

Good turnout of members present for the photo- all much braver than this couch sitter.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:23 pm

Oh ye of little faith............
Yes I am actually meaning myself there. I was not overly confident of a win tonight and was more expecting a first 4 finish. In what was a moderately strong field and what were truly horrible wet conditions he put the rest of the horses in the race to the sword and led from start to finish. The winning of the race was in the way that he pinged away from the tape at the start.
Well done Posie and Tony Cameron you have both done us proud.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Fri May 05, 2017 9:55 pm

Posie has put in some indifferent efforts at times but tonight he was back to his best, he did work and still finished off the race creditably for a good 4th placing in a very good time.
The winner ran 3:22.9 for a 2700m stand which is fast. By comparison the Messenger last week was a 2700m mobile and that was run in 3:25.2 when won by Lazarus.
The same situation applies to Posie as it does to The Faithful - keep him ticking over until after the Jewels by which time the better 3 and 4 year olds will likely be sent for spells hence leading to marginally easier fields.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Thu May 04, 2017 11:41 am

Now with Lusty Mac and Bet Out of Ell both scratched the way is easier for Maxim and Posie also. The older horses percentages of dominating  have dropped slightly through those scratchings, but still likely.

I am inclined to favour the quaddie option now on a 2/2/2/3 basis. Harness Fingers Crossed

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed May 03, 2017 9:07 am

This is an intriguing race, being a handicap with a wide range of contestants of different ages.  With first four betting I prefer to take a most likely winner to win with 4 others for the remaining placings but usually in mobile start races where the barrier draw usually plays a bigger role in the outcome.

Another factor this week is that the main South Island drivers are staying home for Addington racing the same night so a number of driving changes will occur.  A number of contestants are not always reliable from the stand, Bettors Pocket among them, but if he were to step and even lead his stamina could give him a prominent result, certainly first four if Maxim gets in front and he takes a trail. Over the 2700 metres I would incline to favour the older horses in this event. So many ifs and buts so I am uncertain how I will play it until maybe later in the week.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue May 02, 2017 6:37 pm

What do you think of Posie's chances on Friday evening? - first 4.....
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 pm

By the time the horse settled, the leader would have been 15 lengths, or approximately 35 metres ahead . At one stage on the first lap he looked to be struggling to even latch on so the decision to take a softer route  gave Posie  the breather he needed with the result that he had plenty left at the finish.  I feel it unlikely that he would have had equivalent energy left in the straight if he had chosen the 3 wide route.   Just my opinion but seems to be the driver's thinking, based on the manager's report.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:43 pm

I now see that our syndicate manager has already sent us a racing report which answers my previous question. Laughing

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Yes it was a good performance by Bettors Pocket in the Country Cup final after losing a considerable amount of ground at the start. It appears as though he is finally on the way back up.

Does anyone know if there was a reason given by the driver as to why he decided to opt for the markers rather than the running line or 3-wide line in the last lap? I assume it must have been because he thought the horse had already done a fair amount of work making up the ground he lost after galloping. Tony Cameron seems to be way too comfortable being buried 3 or 4 back on the markers for my liking.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:40 pm

A top run by Posie in the Country Cup final, particularly considering the early ground lost by an uncharacteristic gallop at the start.  He beat some nice horses home and kicked strongly in the straight, suggesting that good times lie ahead.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Looked a better effort from Posie last night finishing 4th in a good time of 2:41.9 - yes admittedly he did not do any work during the run and had a sheltered path but nevertheless he stayed with the leaders and ran a very respectable time.
A turnaround in his form? - we can only hope so and we look forward to his next run showing the same improved effort.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Has anything come to light regarding the poor recent form of Bettors Pocket and what are the plans for his immediate racing future? It was about one year ago that Bettors Pocket won the Franklin Cup at Alexandra Park by two and a half lengths untouched and his future looked bright.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Looks like something seriously wrong internally with this horse.  More vet bills to find out?

Not long ago he beat Hug The Wind- now lucky to beat the Clerk of the Course home..

Sad to see as he was so honest and promising before he spelled.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:01 pm

An even worse run than a few days ago. Did nothing in the run and then finished tailed off last. Going backwards in races and reputation. Maybe it is time to sell rather than put him out and try again. Whatever happened to the horse we had?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Posie's still in for Wanganui on Sunday at this point. Yes he was disappointing yesterday but don't be too quick to write him off as he's always been a horse that improves with racing.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:31 pm

Disappointing I agree.  It happens quite often that after a horse in form is spelled, the return to the races is less than memorable.

Do long spells do a horse more harm than good?  A question I have often pondered.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:42 pm

A second very disappointing run in a row from Bettors Pocket. He seems to have lost his determination, speed and honesty this time in. He did a bit of work but so did everything else and he was gone a long way out. Unless he had a flat tyre, Sunday seems very unlikely after that run.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:57 am

barryf wrote:It looks like the Wanganui Cup, a few days later, is also on the agenda in an attempt to get some qualifying points on the board for the Country Cups final.

It appears that Posie is also nominated for the Wanganui Cup on Sunday......and so is Maxim!?!

Last edited by Conwell on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks for that update Barry. I was certainly aware of Stephen Doody as a trainer and a driver but I did not know the history of the better known horses trained by Stephen. I agree that he will know the Manawatu track better than most.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Stephen Doody developed and trained Blossom Lady in the early part of her career and later her son,Mister DG, who won many races including the Cambridge Classic for him. He also won an Inter Dominion consolation but may have changed stables by that time.  Te Kawau, also a free for all winner at Addington was another top horse from his stable.

He often had a trotter or two which would come up to Auckland and race successfully.
Would know the Palmerston North track better than anyone, having trained there for many years.

An astute horseman who would have been better known had he been domiciled at one of the larger centres.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:21 pm

Stephen Doody is a trainer and driver from the Central Districts (lower half of North Island). He has been around for a while with stats on the HRNZ website going back to 1979. Not overly well known in Auckland or Addington.
Driving stats:
Starts: 5063
1st: 470
2nd: 492
3rd: 524
Stakes: $2,200,933
UDR: 0.1581

Tony H only has the two horses running at the Manawatu meeting and the horses must be travelling south with a custodian trainer as neither Tony nor any of his usual staff are driving these horses, hence picking up a local catch driver in Stephen Doody.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Who is Stephen Doody ?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next