BETTORS POCKET

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: BETTORS POCKET

Post by barryf on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:09 pm

The Manawatu Cup looks a nice race for Posie with his main opposition likely to come from up and comer, Everything, plus Beyond The Silence and maybe Imajollywally and Lusty Mac.

It looks like the Wanganui Cup, a few days later, is also on the agenda in an attempt to get some qualifying points on the board for the Country Cups final. As yet I have not been able to find a date or venue for the final but the most likely meeting looks to be at Hawera in April.

Will be listening and watching for Dusty and Denise to let out the syndicate roar when the whips are cracking.  cheers

P.S. No more than 4 cracks allowed...

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:20 pm

What price would Partyon be in the same race from the same draw as Bettors Pocket? They looked pretty equal in their recent trial so the current price on offer for Bettors Pocket looks very generous.
Update ... the price on offer was accurate ... a very disappointing run after a very good drive ... hopefully all is well.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:11 am

Yes I have also been attracted to those odds.  I was a little surprised that the odds did not shorten a bit as they have remained unchanged from last evening when they were released and Tony Cameron was listed as the driver at that stage.
I will also be watching with interest at how Eclipse Me performs as she has been in good form lately and is a half sister to the 2017 syndicate horse Park Avenue.

PS: As of 1.45pm on race day the fixed odds have extended out to $12.00 and $3.40 and he is equal sixth favourite on the win market. The TAB obviously don't rate him.

Last edited by ray the beancounter on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:29 am

I totally agree Ray. Another scratching from the front line also now brings him into barrier 6.
$11 & $3.20 fixed odds.....yes please. ☺

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:58 am

Junior driver Tony Cameron was initially listed to drive Posie tonight but on checking the fields today I see that Tony Herlihy now the listed driver. A positive move in our favour. Tony Cameron is improving as a driver, I am not suggesting otherwise, but having Tony H onboard is a step up again.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks for that update Barry, I have not as yet had the opportunity to read the newsletters. Back at work with no staff as yet as they have children and don't work school holidays - so I am running around like a one-armed paperhanger.
I did think it a bit much to run at both meetings.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Ray- I took from the newsletter that Posie had been withdrawn from the Otaki meeting so it will be worth checking the fields for Sunday when they come out, to confirm or otherwise that interpretation.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Bettors Pocket is racing on Thursday evening at Alexandra Park and he is to then make a quick trip south as I see that he is listed in the nominations to race in the 3,000 metre Otaki Cup on the grass on Sunday. It will take a lot out of him to travel and then run 5,200 metres in the space of less than 70 hours.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Andrew Jamieson's trainers licence details are on HRNZ and go back as far as 1994 so he has been in the game long enough to know the in's and out's of the industry, but a bit of a jump up from part-time trainer to organising a 50 person syndicate with horses that periodically run in group races and also dealing with some of the North Islands top trainers. I do wish him well but could be a steep learning curve ahead.

Lifetime:
Starts: 139
1st: 12
2nd: 11
3rd: 15
Stakes: $79,050
UDR: .1663
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:14 pm

Ray has posted the update on Bettors Pocket.  Knowing the trainer's placements he will be seeking the best worthwhile stake on offer rather than race for a more modest stake for an equivalent outcome, handicapping- wise.
A phone message referred to the possibility of The Faithful racing at Auckland on Thursday, 26th.January so he is clearly ready to go.
I also met Andrew Jamieson who told me he ha been teaching at Pukekohe Intermediate School and had decided to retire after 40 years in the profession, so Des you should have some interesting
in house secrets to share of your experiences should you ever meet up!  He also said he has a trainer's licence and has a horse or two which he is working, now that he has more time to concentrate on that activity.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:59 pm

I heard last evening that Bettors Pocket will likely race next Thursday 26th January at Alexandra Park. There was also something said about a precautionary injection into a fetlock and that they didn’t want to push him too hard too soon. Tony H still expects 2 to 3 wins from him this season, which given his form shown at the workouts is a reasonable expectation.
I did not hear anything regarding The Faithful so cannot help you on that one – I can only assume that he is having a brief freshen up after his Auckland Cup and Waikato mile runs but would anticipate seeing him again shortly.
The newsletters are due later this week so we should get a better picture of where each horse is at including the 2016 and 2017 young'uns.

We also briefly met Robs replacement Andrew Jamison (spelling??) who sat in on the meeting as a quiet observer. I do not know of him or his background but again the newsletters may tell us more.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:47 am

Two very good trials then not nominated to race. Is everything ok with Bettors Pocket and also what is the next race for The Faithful as these are our only two horses currently in racing trim?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:23 pm

I read that Hug The Wind has gone as well. I also read that the Auckland Trotting Club will run races for the higher class horses even with 4 or 5 runners. So if our two can run in these races every week/fortnight there should be some healthy stake monies to be earned even in $15000 races- throw in the odd money bag bonus and it looks quite appealing, while saving the cost of overseas travel. where so many will be  running against each other again.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:35 pm

Bettors Pocket was very unlucky in the Country Cups final last year. Maybe that is the plan with Kapti Coast weekend coming up soon. An interesting article on the HRNZ website about the lack of horses at the higher ratings in the North Island. No Doctor Needed and Hughie Green have now been exported to do future racing in Australia. Barry Purdon with The Faithful, Ardens Choice and Hug The Wind can set up his own race each week ... surely the syndicate has to seriously discuss racing The Faithful overseas themselves ( and potentially Bettors Pocket ). Look at the list of exported horses on the HRNZ website and see how many of Mark Purdon's current stable have flown out in the past two weeks. Major Star is fourth favourite in the $60,000 Shepparton Cup tomorrow night ... The Faithful may have been second favourite behind Hector Jayjay from the same barrier.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:40 am

Refer Sergeant Schultz!

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:19 am

Sorry Des, it doesn't look like anyone knows what the plans are for Bettors Pocket.

I imagine there will be some more info through the syndicate grapevine at the ATC 2012 vote on Monday, so I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:35 pm

Bettors Pocket ?????

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Bettors Pocket took half a lap to work to the lead and was untouched at the end. The winner Partyon has won all 5 starts including the Breeders Crown for $1/4 million in prizemoney and straight after the trial was shipped overseas to race at Menangle this weekend. If Bettors Pocket is nominated for the grass on Sunday you would think that he would be a chance. Next year the Auckland Cup.
Update ... not nominated for the grass ... does anyone know the plan for the return to racing of Bettors Pocket?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Yes- impressive. Looked a pretty short neck at that with the winner shaken up and AGH sitting quietly in fast time. Can't be long now for raceday.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:15 pm

The workout video is now up on the HRNZ website.

I wasn't on course either but I liked what I saw in the video! Very Happy

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:52 pm

There was no video posted over the weekend and it is usually from this video that we get an earlier look at the workout, rather than waiting for the full results to be published on the Monday. Results are now up today (without any video so clearly no cameras were there on Saturday) and the result looks very good for Posie.

He ran second to the very good Mark Purdon horse Partyon which has had 5 starts for 5 wins – and Posie finished within a neck of the winner. Also of note is that fact that this workout had the fastest mile rate of the day.

I was not on course Saturday so cannot update you on any current plans for Posie but it is noted that he is not scheduled to race at Cambridge on Friday. The fields have just been released for Friday and Posie is not listed, but of course there is the possibility of nominating him for the grass track meeting at Rotorua on Sunday 15th or Thames on Saturday 21st January. We will just have to wait and see – keep an eye on the noms.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Any word from Bettor Pocket's trial this morning and future plans?

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:59 pm

I did not attend, but the results were up within a short period of time in regard to the workout today by Bettors Pocket at Pukekohe today.
A good result when the first three horses finished with margins of a neck and a neck - and Posie was only a neck behind an Auckland Cup field horse.

MOBILE PACE. (R55 & faster)LEFT HANDED
Distance: 2050m     Weather: Fine     Track: Fast      
Plc Bk Horse Hcap Time Driver Trainer
1 1 Ideal World fr 2-38.6 D M Balle D M Balle
2 4 No Doctor Needed fr S G Telfer & C D Garlick
3 3 Bettors Pocket fr A G Herlihy MNZM
4 2 Vibe fr J W Dickie & J I Dickie

Margins: neck, neck, 1 1/2 lengths
Times: Mile Rate: 2-04.4 Last 800m: 58.1 Last 400m: 28.2
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi there Des- yes, all agreed re Bettors Pocket. Tony Herlihy spoke positively at the AGM as to his improvement and thinks another 2 to 4 wins are within his grasp.  Is going out for a spell now so look for him to return with some premier racing in mind later in the year- at Alex Park.
The Faithful looking to return in August with trial then racing late August. He is pleasing the stable with his laid back attitude and willingness.
Major Change- last chance coming up at Cambridge and an early retirement   is forecast unless he is sold prior.

Probably needs a new thread to cover all the meetings but too late in the night just now. Bed beckons.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:16 pm

A fine second last night when racing out of his class shows that he is improving all the time and now must rank up there with The Faithful for consistency, effort and even ability. Could someone please give a report on the various AGM 's for those of us who are geographically challenged.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top