Major Star racing in Australia

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Major Star racing in Australia

Post by geejay on Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:35 pm

Star racing at 10pm NZ tonight , M22 R6 MELTON HARNESS (VIC) Melton
MIDDY'S INDUSTRIAL LAVERTON M1-M2 MOBILE PACE ( R6) 1720m $18,000 ,his last start last not without merit as Andy Gath twittered ,
Andy Gath @apgath68
#MajorStar even though he ran last last week his individual times were terrific. Hard from the draw but capable of winning tonight.
Go Star !
Thanks barryf for the latest workout updates Very Happy ,really appreciate them.Fantastic to see Ideal Belle run so well,can just imagine the atmosphere there on track surrounding her return.Hope she comes through this well and all bodes well for a successful return to racing soon. cheers

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:44 am

Thanks for your welcoming words fella's,rapt to get onto this forum and find all your posts very good reading and enjoying all the news hot of the press.
As was to be expected Major Star was up against it in yesterdays race ,his not so fast getaway and restrain to the back from 3 wide was always gonna be too much without them running an equal track record time on top of that .Maybe it doesn't sound right when he runs home last to say it wasn't that bad a run but I actually thought he didn't go too bad,seemed to be running home just in behind the pack rather stronger than I expected especially considering the fast times.Not to mention the amount of racing he's been having.
Andy Gath tweeted before the race
Andy Gath @apgath68
#MajorStar got too fierce last start but still ran the quickest last mile in the race. Huge class rise tonight but a place chance only
The comment quickest last mile indicates to me Star seems to be thriving on the racing,big surprise !

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by barryf on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:36 pm

Nice to see you here, Geejay.  I have chatted to you a few times on that "other" site under one of my alias's but this one is syndicate members only, so more news of goings on etc.

The Belle updates sound encouraging so here's hoping for a successful return to racing.

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:05 pm

Welcome Geejay, it is great to have you on board. I had not as yet caught up with the fact that Star is racing again this week as I haven't checked my personal emails for a couple of days - been working evenings at home to try and keep up with work demands.
It is a nice field of quality horses that Star will line up against so hopefully he will not be sacrificed in the run to leave something in the tank for what will no doubt be a fast finishing last quarter. Like you I held out little hope of him succeeding by being backed up in his races each week but obviously the change of training and feed appears to be holding him in good stead. A group race win (even a group 2 or a group 3) would be well deserved at this point in his career. I will watch the race this week with interest as it is another step up for him.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:12 am

Digging through my mailbox run across a message from Ray that has been buried there over a year and a half. Embarassed Word of this new forum so I was quick to click on it and was  even quicker to regret having overlooked this message so long ago.Have really enjoyed looking through the posts on this forum and being a ATC 2012 syndicate member especially pleased to see the posts on our horses and up to date news that I know doubt miss out on living here in Iceland and not accessing the message system often.
Major Star's sale to Auss especially for what seemed to me a very low price was something I was not very happy with but being new to this racing a horse game I did rather blindly let the  trainers comments and opinion influence my vote.That said some of Stars antics did sometimes make me wonder about his future,his odd little walkabouts on the grass ,knocking of in the lead habit,trouble holding weight problem etc. but I was surprised how many of his poorer runs I so often seemed to find in my mind some excuse for.The comment someone made how he was perplexed with trainers real opinion of Star,how he was thought of as a NZ Cup possible to suddenly a low stake grass track racer rang a bell for me too.I thought his run in the Hannon Memorial was very good and the cold he picked up a likely excuse for his New Brighton Cup run so was a big surprise to me to see him downgraded to a grass tracker after that.Thought also free legged seemed to suit him but was odd the hopples on one day ,off the next after some good runs.
Australia does seem a great place to race your horses though, Star finding lots of suitable races and very good stakes.Been following his progress there very closely and like in NZ for his few poorer runs I seem to find some possible excuse ,either to do with driving tactics or his pulling,he does often appear to have a problem settling in behind especially on a slow pace.To see him racing week in week out for 2 months straight is unbelievable and a record of 28311294 in 8 starts rather impressive for a horse that couldn't back up in NZ.To see now he is entered for a very good race at Melton on friday-Race 5 BETTERTHANCHEDDAR @ ALABAR BREEDERS CROWN GRADUATE PACERS FREE FOR ALL (GROUP 2)
Prizemoney: $60,575  2240 METRES
Starts 5 on front inside Lets Elope and Chilli Palmer while 2nd row is MESSINI,FLAMING FLUTTER ,MAJOR CROCKER ,HECTORJAYJAY .
I look very much forward to Andy Gaths tweet before this race.Is it the owners pushing or does the trainer see something there.Wish he would tweet Stars weight before each race ,so puzzeling his weight issues back home,maybe the Auss tucker more too his liking.Whatever Go Star,even if you make me regret even more losing you.So roll on Ideal Belle,the wait has been long and difficult,looking forward to her return to the workouts ! Smile

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:29 pm

A brilliant run by Star - never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that Star could back up week after week for 6 races and still produce the effort that he did on Friday in the Melton Cup.

As to racing in Australia – never going to happen………
I have just come back home from the syndicate AGM’s held at Alexandra Park and the issue of racing ATC syndicate horses in Australia was raised, particularly in regard to The Faithful and Bettors Pocket. It appears that a short term hit and run mission for a particular race would be the only consideration and even then the horse would have to be of top quality and be primed for a particular race as a realistic winning proposition - the cost of travel along with the import fee payable to Harness Racing Australia otherwise make this prohibitive.
Rob Carr is definitely not in favour of racing a syndicate horse in Australia on a longer term basis he made this clear - he is concerned with the loss of control over the horses movements, training and races.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:11 pm

Another top run from Major Star. Tree wide for half a lap to the breeze and then hit the front at the top of the straight and just run down on the post. $5000 for second. The syndicate should give serious thought to racing in Australia for some of the better horses that it owns.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:38 pm

I would much rather see him over there living out his potential under our ownership. $15,000 already won and a $30,000 final next week.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conwell on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:45 am

An excellent win by Star last night in a heat of the Melton Cup. This was his 1st win at Melton in his 7th attempt and qualifies him for the Group 3 $30k Melton Cup final on Friday 29th July. Very Happy

I didn't give him much chance of holding the front from the ace draw, but he managed to get away well enough to not get crossed and held them off with an excellent 1:55.8 mile rate and fast overall time of 2:41.1 for 2240m.

I for one am extremely pleased to see him doing well in Aus. I would much rather see him living out his potential over there under someone's else ownership than battling on grass tracks here in NZ.

Conwell

Back to top Go down

Major Star racing in Australia

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:08 pm

There is no let up, with Star to race again this Saturday evening, this time back at Melton - in a series heat race.
It will be interesting to see how he handles the step up back to the tougher Melton quality fields, after his easier win in his last race at Geelong.

As a side comment - it is good to see that Harness Racing Victoria is a better supporter of claiming races than we are here in NZ - with a 9 horse race to be run with better quality claimers to run than we are used to seeing run here in NZ. The claiming prices ranging from $10,000 to a maximum of $25,000 and 6 of the 9 runners are ex New Zealand horses.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top