Have A Chat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Have A Chat

Post by barryf on Wed May 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Yes Des, existing members will know better than Andrew at this stage who the mystery faces may be as with some hundreds of existing members to identify it will take a while to get around them all.Welcome Dizzy

He doesn't get to do a roll call as with school- do they still do those?Laughing

I don't imagine they will want to weer name tags.

Some of the members who have been in several syndicates over the years would be happy to help I am sure. Idea

barryf

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 pm

Just posted on Major Star,must've been writing when you posted this Des as wasn't on when I started.Yep right about the time in Stars trial being plenty fast enough.
Great win by Some Change and Bettors Pocket run encouraging.Bet I Can should develop pretty good too so not a bad threesome.
Good luck with your 2 Auss horses,see still shares available in Gath horse.
Look forward to news of your other 3 ATC horses.

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Des Carruthers on Tue May 02, 2017 8:06 pm

I have just returned from a three week trip to Singapore. Manila and Taiwan. My son Andrew (ATC 2014) were watching the races from Cambridge over a beer in Taipei (a possible first for the syndicates) and we were a bit down until the mighty Some Change saluted the judge.
Major Star and Little Rascal rated about 1:56 first up in a trial at Menangle today and I don't think you would want to go faster than that unless you are primed to race.
My Bettors Delight yearling colt with Andy Gath has broken in really well and is now out until July.
My Shadow Play 2yo filly out of a Bettors Delight mare had her first public workout for trainer Ross Oliveri in Perth and did everything right so she may be racing shortly.
I think Bettors Pocket is more than a first four chance if he gets away with A Herlihy in the sulky. Have a look at the sectional times when he ran 8th two starts ago at Auckland.
I am enjoying the Monday updates but get a bit frustrated with the newsletters as a lot of space is devoted to photographs of people and, as they are not named, I have no idea who they are. Those photos are then repeated in all the newsletters for the other syndicates.
I am very much looking forward to seeing some action from Cha Cha B, Park Avenue and hopefully Extra Blast whom I have written off four times already.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Geejay, Barry Purdon paid $75,000 for Platinum Belle at the February 2014 Auckland yearling sales.
He probably regretted that decision later as she did not have Ideal Belle's speed gene. Platinum Belle was very average at the workouts and went on to race 8 times in NZ for only the 1 win and that was a lesser quality field at Cambridge. Prior to that win she raced several times at Auckland and did not really come close to winning a maiden race, in what were mediocre times of 2 min 46 sec to 2 min 48 sec races.
She only raced the one further time in NZ after her maiden win, then she was "gone-burger" over the pond to Australia.
There is no surprise that she won a couple in Australia as the "new entrants" into the lower level Australian handicapping system run in what is comically known as the "mugs grade" - a name used by one of our better known NZ trainers. She has had the one creditable performance in Aus though and that was to run 5th in the WA Oaks.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Post by geejay on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Well haven't deserted the ship though has taken a few days to finally make time to Have A Chat.Saw it on sunday but a house full of grandkids,well actually only 2 but felt like a houseful at that time,and so decided against clicking with the odds of contributing to a chat stacked against me .If only I had even half their energy not to mention their lung capacity then would have been no problem.Same I guess I could say for my horses.
Talking about horses I do have some suppressed anger I need to get rid of so best to get rid of that to begin with,so here are 33 kicks to the shin's of my fellow syndicate members who shattered my big dream , I can understand ,a little, if you wouldn't have voted for Trump but finding it hard to forgive not voting to persevere a little longer with my beloved Belle ,virtually a sin not exploring ways to turn her around mentally. That especially frustrating now after reading comments of the benefits that have been had from beach training.
If I had a share in (My)Platinum Belle I would probably be more forgiving.I see she is owned now by Solid Gold Standardbreds that part owned her in NZ and has had 2 wins from 5 starts in Auss.Seem to remember BarryP snapping her up at the sales a while back,a little surprised she was let go not long after winning her first race in NZ.Be interesting to follow her progress.
Not a cricketer but am a sucker for punishment after being forced into choosing an English premier football team (Tottenham Hotspur) to support after no one here knew what rugby was.The little I have heard of NZ cricket reminds me of my horses ups and downs so don't wanna go there.Rugby,racing and beer forever !
Why is Mark Purdon so successful? 1-Mark Purdon and Nat Rasmussen 2-wealthiest and/or most successful owners = best horse flesh 3-Amazing drivers 4-Hard bloody work and top team of workers 5-He does know something about training that most others don't.
Don't waste my time speculating on rumours,hate rumour's ,facts or shut-up my motto !
A colt from Ideal Belle would sell for ? at the NZ sales,I would like to hear the answer to that too,also for a filly.$50,000 not a great return for Belle,wonder how that would compare with what BarryP paid for Platinum Belle,would expect Belle's first progeny to draw that and plus.Course the right conformation and the skies the limit .
I do !!! want to race my horses in Australia as the overseas syndicate members race their horses overseas.Ooops,I don't have any anymore !!!!
I was going to purchase at the sales but lotto hasn't answered my prayers,nor has the TAB though backing my own horses also hasn't helped.
Messini is an uglier horse than The Faithful who is potentially better, The Bucket List not a better horse and please take The Faithful to Australia ,the impending no whip rule there will not affect him as much as many others too I suspect.
No Doctor Needed been enormously impressive of late,gutsy as hell,I would probably take 100% in him as he is already in Auss and looking like going to the next level,something that seems to often happen to kiwi horses that go to Auss,so get your's there.
Bettors Pocket ???? Love watching but hate betting on grass track racing,not convinced mixing grass and grit racing does not affect some horses mentally,Star and Major Change good suspects !
I like Donald Trump sometimes as is so refreshing seeing a politician can keep his promises just like our last mayor of Reykjavik who was elected on his promise to break all his promises once elected.He was actually quite a popular mayor in the working mans circles and often entertaining which made one forget any hardships he may have caused.The world didn't end with his election so a chance it won't end with Trumps election,waiting for the TAB odds on that one though.
Vincent could be a superstar,he's got the Lazarus looks and did beat Belle convincingly when they last meet,just praying Belle's new owners won't be out for a rematch am still suffering withdrawal symptons from Major Star !
Not up with the ATC2016 / ATC 2017 horses,concentrating on googling new syndicate options in Auss,Canada or States as well as NZ,very interesting.
Interested to hear more about dabbling in the Perth ownership market,have a sister there I could perhaps try my persvasive skills on to join me in another attempt to get rich.
Next time Des try not to come with so many suggestions on chat topics,1am now and gotta work tomorrow and haven't anytime left to even consider the beancounters post let alone come with a new topic.Def drop in if you over this side of the world,a first ever visit to Perth to my little sis on my bucket list,lets see who's first.
Goodnight !!!!!!!!!!!! Sleep

geejay

Back to top Go down

Post by ray the beancounter on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi Des, given the lack of replies that you have received you could be mistaken into thinking that New Zealand has been deserted - “...last person to leave please turn out the lights.”
As of this moment your post on the blog has had 28 views, but no replies.
This lack of interest adds to my discouragement with the ATC syndicates also.

On that particular topic I see that the ATC has decided not to proceed with a syndicate this year on the excuse that the new manager Andrew needs time to bed into the position. In my personal opinion this is a mistake and only adds ammunition to the ATC’s perceived move to get rid of the syndicates. The madam CEO of the club has outwardly appeared indifferent to the syndicates. The syndicates need to be promoted annually to keep people interested. Stop for a year and interested syndicate members will look elsewhere, the syndicates need to be promoted annually to capture these interested parties before they drift off elsewhere and they don’t return in two years time. Skip 2017 (the ill-called 2018 syndicate) and then what? They try and sell a syndicate in 2018 (the 2019 syndicate). By then it may very likely be difficult to sell the shares if too many prior syndicate members have lost interest - and if it does become difficult to sell then what will the ATC do? I tell you what they will do and that is to achieve their objective and that is to can the syndicates – nil, nada, nilch.

Some existing syndicate members have already dabbled in the Stonewall Stud and Alabar syndicates so a drift is already commencing – skip a year of ATC syndicates and this slow drift could turn into a king tide on its way out.

The cricket........umm, I think we can consider ourselves very very lucky. I would not be at all surprised if that were the only match we were to win in the series. Aussie lost that one, rather then us winning it – yes there is a difference.

Mark Purdon – I need to be careful not to put into words what everybody is thinking. Why? – because no, I repeat no, proof exists. The rumour mill has been doing overtime the last couple of months but without proof these rumours are just unfounded rumours. Ask me the same question in 10 years and we will discuss this with factual hindsight.......I need to pass the buck to avoid an accusation of libel.

Ideal Belle’s progeny – going by the sometimes disappointing sales results that have been experienced at the Karaka yearling sales over the past couple of years my guess for an Ideal Bell colt would be somewhere in the range of $40,000 to $60,000 while for a filly I would say $30,000 to $50,000. Am I dreaming?? Tell me otherwise if you don’t agree.

I may not even attend the sales this year as the ATC isn’t purchasing this year so I don't need to check out those lots – and I don’t want to be tempted into purchasing yet another horse in a private capacity. I already have three on the go (two 2-year olds and a yearling) and they cost more than enough each month.

Bettors Pocket – he was nominated for and then withdrawn from the Otaki Grass Cup and I see that he is not nominated at all for the Tauranga Grass Cup this weekend. So is he going into any of the grass cups? Tony H did mention racing at Auckland on Feb 10th so it appears that the better staked Auckland meetings are his aim at the moment. If Posie tails off too often at these Auckland meetings then the plan may change and grass track racing many be undertaken instead.

That is a start Des. I will add to this another day – it is already passed my bedtime.
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

Have A Chat

Post by Des Carruthers on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:46 pm

When there is not a lot of positive action on the horse front it is time to chat with fellow blog members about recent trotting topics or life in general. I have posted the last four items with no response. This is not my personal blogsite and I am becoming somewhat discouraged by the ATC experience particularly as I have now dabbled in the local (Perth) ownership market and the school year is set to kick off on Monday. Australia v New Zealand in cricket on Monday could be a topic. Why is Mark Purdon so successful? Surely he can't know something about training that others don't. What would a colt from Ideal Belle sell for at the NZ sales? Why don't you want to race your horses in Australia as the overseas syndicate members race their horses overseas? Is anyone going to purchase at the sales? Is Messini at better horse than The Faithful? Is The Bucket List (Interdominion horse) a better horse than The Faithful? Who would you rather own 100% The Faithful or No Doctor Needed? (Current buzz horse in NSW). Is Bettors Pocket going to compete in the later Country Cup races as there has been a lack of class in those events so far? Who likes Donald Trump? Is Vincent (the pacer not the artist) a superstar? If you could own 100% one of the ATC2016 / ATC 2017 horses, which one would you take? I look forward to hearing from you all. ray the beancounter, barryf and geejay are champion bloggers on this site and next time that I am in New Zealand or Iceland I will call in and say hello.
Update ... (My)Platinum Belle just led all the way at Pinjarra in W.A. at $1.20. She is a full sister to NZ 2yo of the year Five Card Draw and a half sister to NZ Oaks winner Ideal Belle.
Further Update ... What a great 50 overs international cricket match today... an amazing last half hour. Progressive score New Zealand 1 Australia 0.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top