Amateur Driving Course - Alexandra Park

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Amateur Driving Course - Alexandra Park

Post by Des Carruthers on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:31 am

That sounds like a lot of fun. On the subject of driving, we are lucky to have Zac Butcher driving some of our horses. Have a look at him winning the Alabar Sires 3yo Fillies at Auckland Dec 31st on Democrat Party. The best drive that I have ever seen ... skill, patience, aggression, initiative and timing ... all in one drive.

Des Carruthers

Back to top Go down

Amateur Driving Course - Alexandra Park

Post by ray the beancounter on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:53 pm

I did the Amateur Driving Course at Alexandra Park on the weekend of 21st and 22nd March and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  I was as nervous as hell at the beginning of the course on the Saturday morning, but was driving a single sulky around the Alexandra Park track by the Sunday afternoon.
The course is very well run by experienced tutors who offer a great deal of patience, help, support and encouragement to enable you to achieve things that you didn’t think possible.

There was instruction on gearing up horses, ungearing, washing down, as well as the driving of dual sulkies and then progression to single sulkies. I must have geared up, ungeared and washed down six or seven horses over the weekend.
On the Sunday morning we had several starts behind the mobile starting gate at race speed, which really gets the adrenalin pumping.

If anybody ever gets the opportunity to do one of these courses ($450 cost, and a minimum age of 18 years old) then I thoroughly recommend it.  It is an experience that you will not forget in a hurry…….

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by ray the beancounter on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:49 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Attempting to display a picture)
ray the beancounter

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top